Geocaching Alaskan ports

MoMo07

Is anyone out there a geocacher and a cruiser? If so, you may be my soul mate :)

In a month I will be on Carnival Legend going to Alaska via Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria, BC. I was wondering if anyone has geocached at these ports, and if so, we're there any great caches that stood out that you would recommend?

I see a virtual cache in Tracy Arm that I will get, and a virtual cache on the white pass that I will get while on the RR excursion in Skagway. But of the other traditional caches, what should I try to squeeze in ? :)

Would love any information you come back with!!! We are going the same places in September, except we will do Glacier Bay instead of Tracy Arm. It will be a MUST for us to grab some caches while on the cruise. If at possible could you send me a message on here when you return? Let me know what caches you found and how you got them (private tour, car, ship excursion). Would really appreciate any info at all. Happy cruising!

I'm a cacher and I cached in Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria last summer. I didn't realize there was anything in Tracy Arm... I'm wondering if they'll let me go back and log it now haha We didn't go crazy at each port, but tried to do a few. What I would definitely do is search for the caches you have at each port by fav points and try to plan some of those.

In Juneau, we rented a car (which we loved and recommend). There are a bunch of earthcaches at Mendenhall Glacier and a few physicals as well. We unfortunately couldn't get to the one side of trails though, as it was closed for bear activity. There is a cache that is at the visitors center along the docks that you should check out. We did some caches further out from town and enjoyed really nice short hikes :) One we did was called Sink or swim and we had to wait until low tide to walk across a land bridge to a grab a cache.

Ketchikan we only did a TB hotel cause we were lazy that day :p

In Victoria we did a few of the virtuals around, since our time was limited.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a cacher and I cached in Juneau, Ketchikan and Victoria last summer. I didn't realize there was anything in Tracy Arm... I'm wondering if they'll let me go back and log it now haha We didn't go crazy at each port, but tried to do a few. What I would definitely do is search for the caches you have at each port by fav points and try to plan some of those.

In Juneau, we rented a car (which we loved and recommend). There are a bunch of earthcaches at Mendenhall Glacier and a few physicals as well. We unfortunately couldn't get to the one side of trails though, as it was closed for bear activity. There is a cache that is at the visitors center along the docks that you should check out. We did some caches further out from town and enjoyed really nice short hikes :) One we did was called Sink or swim and we had to wait until low tide to walk across a land bridge to a grab a cache.

Ketchikan we only did a TB hotel cause we were lazy that day :p

In Victoria we did a few of the virtuals around, since our time was limited.

Thanks for that info...it helps!!

Question: I thought of caching in Alaska but, how does it affect your phone's data? I have Verizon but was told I would not have coverage. So, I bought a package that allows for so many calls and texts and a small amount of data- we're you able to use your phone with out compromising your data plan?

Question: I thought of caching in Alaska but, how does it affect your phone's data? I have Verizon but was told I would not have coverage. So, I bought a package that allows for so many calls and texts and a small amount of data- we're you able to use your phone with out compromising your data plan?

You could use a handheld GPS.

But, Verizon has Alaska coverage. So as long as you have a national plan, I would guess that you would be covered.

So excited to see this post. We are geocachers going on crown princess aug 29 and have began to start looking caches in all the ports. Did not know there was a virtual at Tracy Arm, going to look for that GC now :) looking forward to an update on how caching for MoMo07 and others went!