Natural pool -- beautiful, but . . .

tinainfl

Hi: Just got back from my cruise on the Carnival Destiny. In Aruba, we rented a SUV. Headed for the north shore. Wonderful off road drive. We then decided to head to the Natural Pool. We asked two park guards prior to heading up the mountain to the pool if they thought our SUV could make it & they gave us the go ahead.

About 3/4 of the way up the mountain to the pool we blew a tire & ended up damaging the rim. The road was quite treacherous. Fortunately, two park guards helped us change the tire & even drove our SUV out of the park as none of us were sufficiently experienced for the treck.

The Natural Pool itself was beautiful & wonderful & quite an adventure. Well worth the trip; however, I wanted to post this as a warning to anyone who may plan to go there on their own. Definitely get a Jeep, preferably one that has been lifted so that it's high off the ground & definitely have someone experienced w/off roading do the driving.

Have fun! Tina

Good advice! The first time we drove out to the Natural pool I actually got out of the jeep as we were rounding a bend at the crest of the mountain just to make sure the road actually kept on going. Its a white knuckler for certain. But as you said the natural pool is well worth the trouble. Its one of the great natural wonders of the caribbean.

Be certain once your there to start back well before evening. Can you imagine doing that in the dark?

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Good advice! The first time we drove out to the Natural pool I actually got out of the jeep as we were rounding a bend at the crest of the mountain just to make sure the road actually kept on going. Its a white knuckler for certain. But as you said the natural pool is well worth the trouble. Its one of the great natural wonders of the caribbean.

Be certain once your there to start back well before evening. Can you imagine doing that in the dark?

CaribbeanBlue

www.*****.org

I am so glad to hear this information about the natural pool, we really want to go there but were thinking maybe we better not as I have read that it is very difficult to get to and that you should not do it without a guide. Where did you get directions? And was it hard to find? also if you didn't want to continue down the "road" since you were unsure could you have walked the rest of the way? I really want to go here but am unsure if it is safe to go on your own. Thanks for your help!

Hi Showergirl: When you rent a 4x4, you will receive a map, but these don't detail the many unpaved roads in Aruba. As for going down the north shore, you'll probably find yourself following a good number of tourists & that will make that drive pretty easy.

We had a tough time trying to find the Natural Pool w/the map. Initially we attempted to access it from the Natural Bridge, but we had to turn around as the road was too rocky. We did see two Jeep 4x4s make it this way, though. We then tried another way after getting the okay from a couple of park guards. This road wasn't as bad, but was still too much for our SUV 4x4.

I would ask a local when you get there about the best way to access Natural Pool. Everyone in Aruba was very nice to us. And please do not attempt this w/o a Jeep 4x4, preferably one w/a lift kit.

It's definitely worth the trip! You'll have a blast. Tina

Getting to the Natural Pool: From the Hotel Area

Take road 3A in the direction of Paradera. Take road 6A and keep following it until you see a road sign saying Daimari Old Coconut Plantation. This is where you start off-road. Follow the path other 4wd made. There is a sign saying "The Natural Pool" or "CONCHI" as the Arubians call it. If you get lost..don't panic ...follow the Divi-Divi trees they all point to the hotel Area :-)

From Oranjestad, take road "1" south out of Oranjestad...several miles past the airport, turn left on road "4" (there's traffic lights there)...go about 4 or 5 miles...when you see the "Peking" restaurant on your right, turn right on the road just past that...just several hundred feet or so after turning, turn right onto the next road....Past this point, if you watch carefully...you will see small signs (I think it was green lettering on white background) which appeared homemade. Again, they say "The Natural Pool" or "CONCHI". Watch for them carefully and you will get there

natlpool.jpg.e39b579264d54a0dffa1da6412fdd25b.jpg

How much is a taxi from the pier?
To where? The Natural Bridge?

Also, does the bus route take you to the Natural Bridge & Pool? Thanks
Public buses do not take you to the Natural Bridge. The Natual Pool is not accessible by any kind of bus. De Palm Tours has a 4 hour island tour by air conditioned bus which would take you to the Natural Bridge, but again, not the Natural Pool.

• 2 weeks later...

We spent 11 days in Aruba in May. On our first morning we went to the Natural Pool. Our daughter (24) planned the trip. We drove as far as the Mini Van could handle the road. Then, we hiked in. It is a desert, with lots of catus and goats. Also rattle snakes that do not rattle. It was a long, long distance. There were eight of us. 6 under the age 27, 2 of us 50. Do not try this if you are not fit, and can carry lots of water. We ran into a jeep tour. The tour guide asked where our vehicles were. Any way, we loved the pool. We swam for about an hour. Bought chips from the guy who sells beer, water, and burgers at the top of the hill. The trek back was harder then the one in, but we all survived, and without a doubt, it was one of the highlights of our stay. We are returning to Aruba in Feb. 06 aboard the Summit. Beth

• 2 weeks later...

Archived