Epic 24 May Cruise-day 2-sea Day

trfccruiser

Had a bit of a lie in.Did breakfast buffet which has a really good range of healthy and not so healthy options both American and British style bacon with absolutely no fat (unlike the crispy bacon which is still yummy though!).Plenty of fresh fruit and also lots of pastries,my daughter became addicted to the Cinnamon Rolls during the week.getting a seat is a challenge on busy days,we usually had 1 person find a table whilst the others 2 piled their plate high!Easier to get a table outdoors.Early on it was quite cool out of the sun and quite a few loungers near the pool were in the shade with the overhang from the upper deck.It was crowded but usually possibly to get a bed but not always in the sun,a lot of chair hogs in evidence,but no worse than the average hotel.We went on the doughnut water slide again which is great fun.

Rachel fancied trying O’Sheehan’s for lunch.It’s not a bad venue,bit noisy with a lot of people passing through the bar area in particular,the restaurant part is less hectic but is near the bowling alleys.The bar area is also above the large video screen but we found watching the Deal or No Deal show quite entertaining.

I had mozzarella sticks for starters which were ok but bit bland.Rachel had chicken strips which were much nicer.Liz and I had chicken pot pie which was a cheicken and vegetable pie in a creamy sauce with vegetables and puff pastry lid,which was really tasty.

I then ordered the fresh fruit platter with banana and walnut loaf .The fresh fruit onboard is excellent just right on ripeness front.the fruit this time consisted of 3 types of melon,strawberries,grapes and pineapple.I love fresh pineapple!Despite the other 2 saying they weren’t hungry the both snaffled some of the banana and walnut bread which is fantastic and appeared at the buffet too on some days.

Liz & Rachel had a game of air hockey(there a are darts and pool and a golf putting machine,it does have a pub feel to it.Only downside I would say is service was quite perfunctory unlike the other restaurants.

We had a further mooch round the ship and then seeing that Moderrno (Brazilian steakhouse) was booked until late,I attempted to see if “walk in” would work but I was turned away.So I tried Shanghai’s the Chinese restaurant and was given a buzzer and told about 30-40 minute wait.At 30 minutes it went off which was just about when the ladies were ready.

I had Hot & Sour Soup,Kung Pao chicken and 5 spice Chocolate Cake.The service and food here was top notch.The best Chinese meal I can honestly remember having,the spices and flavours were so fresh tasting,much better than Chinese Restaurants back home.We resolved to return it was so good.

We then decided at short notice to try the performance “Graffiti Classics” which is a quartet giving classical music a modern twist with dancing and singing thrown in dancing whilst playing a cello and violin is not easy.there was comedy involved too and they were good at getting the crowd going.The duelling cello and violin of o solo mio and it’s now or never by Elvis was particularly good.I’m not really a big fan of classical but this was very well done.The performers were versatile and talented.Rachel was impressed and she’s not easily impressed,trust me.

IMGP1928_zpsth3xypvi.jpg

Hot & Sour Soup

IMGP1933_zpsw7zoycfi.jpg

5 spice Chocolate cake

IMGP1916_zpsosnq1xvt.jpg

the famous chicken pot pie

IMGP1919_zpswgafavjv.jpg

Fresh Fruit platter at O'Sheehans absolutely delicious

IMGP1917_zpsbolgx9jr.jpg

Air Hockey at O' Sheehan's

IMGP1915_zpscmib5hxn.jpg

Mozarella Sticks

Thanks for your review. Looking forward to hearing more. We will be travelling on Epic with a girl of similar age next year, interested to hear what your daughter enjoyed most.

Hi thanks for your comments.My daughter loved the water slides on board and the chance to try different dining options,she also liked walking through the busy areas of the ship and taking in the atmosphere.She loves all things American so enjoyed the accents and the American feel of the ship.She refused to even consider the Teen Club,though.

There's plenty to do on board though.climbing wall,the water slides are great,10 pin bowling air hockey etc.

It's very port intensive though ,we only had 1 sea day so it's mainly late afternoon/evening that the Ship plays its part.Lots to do in the various ports.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

Shanghai's menu looks good! There is a note at the bottom of the menu that says coverage charge applies, but ncl website says the restaurant is complimentary. I'm confused. Since you recently went on the cruise, can you offer insight about the cost? THANKS!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi!

Shanghai's menu looks good! There is a note at the bottom of the menu that says coverage charge applies, but ncl website says the restaurant is complimentary. I'm confused. Since you recently went on the cruise, can you offer insight about the cost? THANKS!

Hi flwinejunkie,sorry only just spotted this,Shanghais is complimentary.