Is Cunard's Queen Mary 2 suitable for people in their mid twenties to early thirties?

NYcoolcruiser

I'm in my mid-twenties and my DH is 30. We look young for our ages. I was wondering if the QM2 is suitable for us. Also, we are not loud party people at all, yet we did enjoy the many activities Carnival had when we sailed her (we did not go to all of them, but just enjoyed the fact that there are so many things to do). We are not the type who would want to sit around the ship quietly reading a book, but on the other hand would enjoy lounging lazily by the pool in the daytime. Additionally, we are just ordinary hardworking people who would enjoy sailing on this amazing liner and be pampered, and not the wealthy types if you know what i mean.

Will we feel out of place in QM2? And would other people think we are wierd if we sail on QM2? Also for those who have sailed in this wonderful QM2, what kinds of activities or things to do are there and what is the age distribution of people who sail on this ship.

Also, I've heard that service differs depending on the selection of your cabin and that people will get better areas to sit at in the dining room if they have a more expensive cabin. Is this true?

Thanks everyone for your help.

I've now taken 41 cruises and sailed on the QM2 this past January, and it was one of the most disappointing cruises I've ever been on and I've been on just about every line from Carnival and RCCI to Seabourn and Crystal. We had one of the more expensive rooms, a Q5, which entitled us to the Queens Grill dining room, and it really wasn't all that special, especially when we discovered that the menu in the QG was exactly the same as in the Britannia restaurant----yes they do have the ala carte menu, but that one never changed for the entire length of the cruise. Service was sub-par in every area of the ship. The food in the Kings Court, their buffet area, was pretty bad, and the tables and floors in that area were filthy and caked with food and spilled drinks every day---no one attempted to wipe the tables off after removing the dishes and the floors were really dirty. While you won't have a problem because of your ages, (Cunard does attract all ages) I think there are other choices out there that would give you more for the money. Celebrity and Princess come to mind.

I've now taken 41 cruises and sailed on the QM2 this past January, and it was one of the most disappointing cruises I've ever been on and I've been on just about every line from Carnival and RCCI to Seabourn and Crystal. We had one of the more expensive rooms, a Q5, which entitled us to the Queens Grill dining room, and it really wasn't all that special, especially when we discovered that the menu in the QG was exactly the same as in the Britannia restaurant----yes they do have the ala carte menu, but that one never changed for the entire length of the cruise. Service was sub-par in every area of the ship. The food in the Kings Court, their buffet area, was pretty bad, and the tables and floors in that area were filthy and caked with food and spilled drinks every day---no one attempted to wipe the tables off after removing the dishes and the floors were really dirty. While you won't have a problem because of your ages, (Cunard does attract all ages) I think there are other choices out there that would give you more for the money. Celebrity and Princess come to mind.

This afternoon I watched a show on TV about the QE2 . . . how she was built from the outside in (unlike, so they said, most cruise liners which are built from the inside out . . . whatever that means). It was an interesting show and the finished product looked beautiful. I'm so sorry to hear that your cruise and the ship wasn't as nice as I'm sure you hoped it would be.

You have the opportunity to take a cruise on the largest oceanliner available.

You definitely will not be sorry for your decision. Although there are many older persons on board there will also be people in your age group. This is an amazing ship.

I'm 38 and my DH is 40, we just booked the QM2 for a 4 day cruise in September of 2006. We had the same concerns you do but, figured we'd give a shot. If your user name is correct, that means you're from NY...why not try the 4 day cruise on September 2, 2006? It sails from NYC and goes to Canada. This way you're not making a huge commitment financially or physically since it is only 4 days and you go to Halifax, Canada for the port of call on this cruise. Also, checkout *****.com, I saw a special being advertised there for this sailing. Hope you decide to give it a try! We are!

I just booked a crossing for April next year. I am 30 and my husband is 28. We are looking forward to using it as a means of relaxation as it will be following a very busy England coach tour. It's only a little bit more expensive than flying, so I figured we would go for it! I'll be interested to hear how yours goes!

we are experienced cruisers,crossers and even more experienced complainers when necessary.we sailed for 8 nites on the qm2 april 2nd this year in the pg 2 cat. it was magnificent ,food ,service, the best we ever had. the only problem there was nothing to complain about. as to the menu the chef made anything we asked forand did it as well as our favorite resturants at home. I believe there were some problems prior to april however cunard began there white star service program and the staff has really taken to this employee reward program. all ages aboard and something for everyone!!!GO ENJOY YOU WILL LOVE IT !! BON VOYAGE

I can't challenge what kitty said, but my experiences have been very different. We have now sailed 3 times on QM2 (once QG, twice PG) and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. We are early 40s. There were quite a few passengers in their 20s (and by this I mean couples, not older kids travelling with parents).

The cruise and your experiences will be what you make of it. If you are not the type who parties like a Carnival passenger......if you don;t participate in the wet t-shirt contest and limbo dancing.....then you will not have any concerns aboard QM2. There are many things to do....and many varied options.

The greater question is.....what type of cruise or crossing will you book. Keep in mind, a crossing gives you 5 days at sea. You are limited to what is offered on board. No ports. To me, this is heaven. It forces me to relax. But if you need a port everyday or every other day, then you should book yourself on a port-intensive itinerary.

Enjoy!

My wife and I just took the Sept 2 crossing. First cruise/crossing of any type for both of us. I am mid thirties. Had a great time. The food is okay but what do you expect with 2,000 pax it is not going to be like a real land resturant. The service was great. But really who cares becuase you will stand (sit) on this huge beautiful deck and watch the Atlantic go by. That is amazing and that is why you should do it - plus the bed is so amazingly comfortable.

BTW you will be some of the younger people on the ship. No one else will think it is 'weird' that you are there. What I think you will find that those with a few more years under their belts (okay maybe several) often have lived very interesting lives and are great sources for good conversation.

I'm in my early 20s and found a group of people near my age to spend time with on board and it was wonderful. I was planning on a more sedate cruise but it turned out otherwise and I had an amazing time. Would have either way though, and a lot of older couples made me feel very welcome on board. I'm hoping to take a return trip someday.

Archived