Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas | October 27th 2015

darrennj

Hi guys, I'm glad you came over to this forum, but I started a Roll Call here back in December! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2142975&highlight=anthem

I have been talking to myself for the past seven months!!! :)

No matter, happy to continue on this thread, since I was the only one on mine.

The Roll Calls here on the G&L forum are never that active, but usually there's more activity on a TA Roll Call than there's been so far. Perhaps it's the combination of this TA having no ports, and doing the north Atlantic route in the fall. Are we nuts or what?

We're really looking forward to it!

Are you doing anything pre-cruise in Europe?

We are going to Paris for five days before we sail...

Hey how are you! :)

I didn't see your original roll call. Then again I didn't search for older posts either. We should keep this one active. Maybe someone will peek their head in.

We have talked about going on a gay cruise. But part of us thinks it would also be too much [drama]. We are almost getting too old for it. I'm turning 50 this month!

But it is nice to meet with/speak to other gay people. The last Princess cruise we were on, we actually had about 8 people show up for the LGBT/FOD meet ups. We were surprised. All other cruises we didn't meet any gay people - but saw them here and there.

It's funny you mentioned Paris. We were in London once before but didn't make it to Paris and I've been wanting to go. And here is the opportunity again!! But my partner is starting a new job on Monday and he doesn't have that much time off - and he still hasn't had that conversation about taking a couple unpaid days. So I'm still hoping we can come in on Sunday and at least spend a day or two in Paris. I'll keep you posted! Where are you staying in Paris? Have you been there before?

Darren

Hi Darren,

We've taken a couple of Olivia cruises. This was years ago, before the sea change in our culture (no pun intended) opened up "mainstream" cruising. We enjoyed them, but what we call the "lesbian premium" is so huge it doesn't make much financial sense anymore for us. In the last few years, we've taken two cruises with Pied Piper (both TAs); it was very nice to have a built-in social group and we had a good time. We were the only lesbians on each occasion (or, as one of our fellow travelers put it, "the only real girls" :) ), but the guys were great.

We've only been to Paris once before. It is such an amazingly beautiful city and we're very excited about returning. We'll be staying in the Latin Quarter. Can't wait!

Congrats to your partner on his new job!

He had his first day today... and he got permission to take unpaid days. OMG I get to finally go to Paris! I may be more excited for that than the cruise! Ever since talking to a co-worker about going with her for the past several years (we never did).

But we are only going to probably have Sunday and Monday night there.

Any suggestions for a couple don't miss things to do, a place to stay and restaurants to try? I'd love to dine outside somewhere sharing a bottle of wine, watching the people go by. Gesh I think I need to book the Eiffel Tower. But dinners there are really expensive!

Wow sorry to hear it was all men. But sounds like they treated you both well.

See ya later!

Great news on the unpaid leave! And I hope the new job is going well!

As for two days in Paris -- well, that would be quite crammed, but you could definitely see a good bit (and then plan to return!). My suggestion would be to buy Rick Steves' Paris guidebook and read through it. He has his usual "if you only have one day in X" or "two days" suggestions. More important, you can figure out what would interest you particularly and go from there.

Some of the "don't miss" highlights for me include Notre Dame, including a climb up to the Towers for the gargoyles and amazing views, the Eiffel Tower of course (buy tickets in advance if you can, to avoid the lines), and just walking along the Seine, or in the Luxembourg Gardens, or through the Marais, almost anywhere. Walking in Paris is simply wonderful. Don't be so scheduled that you don't simply enjoy the city. Buy crepes from a street vendor.

The Louvre of course is another don't miss, but you could spend your entire time there; so if you decide to go, perhaps limit your time, and read up in advance and figure out what you want to see (besides the Mona Lisa). And if you are interested in the impressionists, the Musee d'Orsay is wonderful (the building as well as the collection).

Also, museums in Paris close on various days, so pay attention to that, given your restricted time. I did a quick Google search and came up with this link, I can't promise it's current:

http://www.parislogue.com/museums

Also really enjoyable is a boat ride on the Seine, and getting to see the city and its landmarks from the water. Several companies do this. You might consider doing one at night (There are dinner cruises; some may be tacky but I think some get decent reviews.)

Dining outside? Pick a nice cafe or bistro on a street corner for lunch, sit side by side facing the street at the Parisians do, and people watch!

I hope this is helpful.

Hey thanks for all the tips to look into!!!

I can tell you one thing I really enjoy is sitting at Mon Ami Gabi at the Paris hotel in Vegas - in the outside dining area - overlooking the strip (to people watch) and the Bellagio hotel.

So your last suggestion I definitely want to do.

Catch you later!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think I have the basics booked as well!

I also booked an apt in Paris via airbnb. My partner insisted I find a place with air conditioning.

Anyhow we are flying into Southampton that Tuesday am at 10:30am

See you soon!

I think I have the basics booked as well!

I also booked an apt in Paris via airbnb. My partner insisted I find a place with air conditioning.

Anyhow we are flying into Southampton that Tuesday am at 10:30am

See you soon!

I seriously doubt that a/c will be needed in Paris in late October, :) , but I'm sure you will enjoy the apartment! Which arrondissement?

Looking forward to meeting you guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...