Vancouver to Seward

mjkStirling

Looking at a cruise to Alaska next July which shall finish in Seward. Booking our own flights, as travelling around Canada prior to sailing from Vancouver, any advice on best way to spend a couple of days before flying from Anchorage? Thought of heading up to Denali National Park but references to other activities on the forum have me thinking is the best option. Any advice gratefully received. Also any advice on best excursions when on the cruise appreciated. Opting for NCL I think, Celebrity other option for dates that suit us.

I would hate for you to miss Denali but f you only have a couple of nights the best use of your time might be to focus on the area between Seward and Anc. From Seward you can go out on boat tours both scenic and fishing for either Salmon or Halibut or both. There is Exit Glacier to explore and the Seaveys have a Itidarod dog tour that is great. Moving on toward Anc. There is Aalyeska and in that area you will find a beautiful area built around a ski resort, panning for gold, and portage glacier. If you want to go a little farther afield you can take the Sterling highway where you are likely to see Moose and as you follow the Kenai River you may see Salmon running and if the Salmon are running bears come especially at Russian falls.

We decided to use our 2 nights in the area to focus on the Kenai. We took Sterling highway and stayed for 2 nights at Redfish lodge which we thoroughly enjoyed. Our group of 11 rented 3 cabins (each cabin will sleep 4). Our 2 nights were between our 6 night land tour and our cruise so some of us washed clothes while others walked the very short distance to the Kenai and fished or watched the fishermen. We had a rented 15 passenger van so instead of cooking we chose to drive the short distance to Soldotna to eat dinner each night. However if you choose to cook each cabin has an outdoor grill and a kitchenette.

You can rent a car through Hertz in Seward If you desire. I really prefer renting a vehicle because you have so much more flexability. However if you decide to stay in Seward you can do fine without a vehicle and use the train or bus tour to get to And when you are ready to leave. We did not go to Homer due to our time limitations but that is another option.

I have tried to attach 2 photos. I hope it works. One is of our cabin at Redfish Lodge in Sterling and the other is of our group preparing for Seaveys. We actually saw Seaveys in Sterling with arrangements made through the great folks ad Redfish Lodge.

Looking at a cruise to Alaska next July which shall finish in Seward. Booking our own flights, as travelling around Canada prior to sailing from Vancouver, any advice on best way to spend a couple of days before flying from Anchorage? Thought of heading up to Denali National Park but references to other activities on the forum have me thinking is the best option. Any advice gratefully received. Also any advice on best excursions when on the cruise appreciated. Opting for NCL I think, Celebrity other option for dates that suit us.

Have you looked at travel guides and found out about the very different and various areas of mainland Alaska. Is your Denali interest, because you know, what is involved in touring there and the time needed? A "couple days" is not enough time. From Seward to Denali Park is at least a 9 hour road trip. A 12 hour rail trip, over 2 days. You need at least 2 nights there. Isn't going to work from Seward with only a "couple" days.

If you haven't already- take the time, and get to your library, find out the specific details about areas, determine- YOUR interests, and the activities YOU want to include.

There are hundreds of very worthwhile tours to consider on the inside passage. Again- you need to take a look at shore excursion lists, read trip reports and narrow down your interests. I caution people to look past the "popular" tours, that always get recommended. I occasionally see some people, thinking they "should" take these few, when it's clear to me they don't have that much interest. Don't get stuck in that mode. :)

There are more "must do" tours than you can do in 10 trips, so it comes down to some hard decisions sometimes. I wouldn't think relying on a message board to claim, a certain tour is a "must" is the best advice.

With only a couple of days, Denali is too far. I would recommend the Alyeska Lodge which is half way between anchorage and Seward. It is a fabulous place and has a tram that takes you to the top of the mountain for an incredible view of Turnagain Arm and two short walks. Nice restaurant at the top of the tram too.

Thanks for the posts. Have spent last month researching our tour of Canada so have neglected to read much about Alaska, so far. Sent for information booklet yesterday. Now have a few pointers will follow it up and you have confirmed Denali too far unless we extend our time in Alaska. :)

We just returned from three weeks in Alaska. Probably our favorite excursion was right there in Seward - The Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise. It was really amazing. We saw 3 kinds of whales, sea otters, sea lions, puffins, a glacier calving a many other beautiful things. If you can find the time spend at least a week on land in Alaska it is a wonderful place.

Thanks. Have looked into Alaska in more detail and decided to stay at least a couple of days in Seward as lots of local things to do that suit us too:). Having to plan so far in advance to ensure flights can be booked next month.