Whales/Mendenhall/taxi tour logistics

paulsen02

We are taking my DH’s parents on a cruise next month and I am trying to figure out the logistics of our time in Juneau. I was thinking since we are in port from 7 – 6 we could fit in whale watching, Mendenhall, and a private taxi tour of the area, but I am having trouble figuring out the logistics. We could do the taxi in the morning dropping us at Mendenhall, and have the whale tour pick us up there (or the other way around) which seems a good fit logistically, but I don’t know about getting some lunch between tours. I guess the other option is do the taxi tour that builds in time at Mendenhall, then takes us back to town, and then get picked up there for whale watching? Am I overthinking this? :o This will be our first trip with his parents and I want them to have a great time! Thanks as always!

check out Harv and Marv whale watch tour. We are booked for a tour with them in 2 weeks. We are very excited and looking forward to our tour and the other excursions I have booked. I have planned out our cruise tour for a group of 10 people. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip!

Last year we did a Mendenhall Glacier Whale Watch combo, it seems to be something that multiple tour companies run we went through http://www.juneautours.com/ and were quite happy. Something like that might take some of the stress out of planning your logistics. Ours took us to the glacier, we had an hour or so to look around then took us straight to the whale watching which if I remember correct was much closer to the glacier then it was to town. The only downside was the fixed amount of time at the glacier, but I believe some tours also do whales first then glacier. We were back to with plenty of time to spare.

First, you need to determine- WHAT you are taking the "taxi tour" for? Where are you going, what do you want to see and include? Have you already determined this?

Always- a combo whale watch and Mendenhall drop off/pick up makes the best use of time. You can't have a priority with meals, frankly. You need to determine- what is available THEN make your other plans. You can always, purchase food downtown, and take it with you, eating it on the whale watch. In order to do these 3 activities, an hour at Mendenhall is likely going to be your limit. You could have your cab, pick you up at Mendenhall, with a quick stop at McDonalds, eating in the cab, then on to your selected stops.

You don't mention any mobility limits so, this is assuming there aren't any?

Alternative- downtown Juneau is very easy to take a walking tour. The dock visitor center has maps.

I was thinking of Harv and Marv’s or RumRunner for the whale watching for 4 hours, 12th Street Taxi for a 2 - 3 tour, and an hour or so at Mendenhall. I thought his parents might like to drive around outside of town and visit the Shrine of St. Therese. I am not trying to make meals a priority but they are in their 80’s and I do need to figure out how we will get a bite at some point during the day, and while I want to pack as much as I can in for them, I don’t want them to be overwhelmed either. These are all good suggestions.

I checked the Menenhall/Whale Watch combo tour website and that looks like a good option. My only concern with this is the group size seemed larger – did that seem to be an issue at all? If not that really might suit our needs the best.

Thanks again for the helpful suggestions!

I was thinking of Harv and Marv’s or RumRunner for the whale watching for 4 hours, 12th Street Taxi for a 2 - 3 tour, and an hour or so at Mendenhall. I thought his parents might like to drive around outside of town and visit the Shrine of St. Therese. I am not trying to make meals a priority but they are in their 80’s and I do need to figure out how we will get a bite at some point during the day, and while I want to pack as much as I can in for them, I don’t want them to be overwhelmed either. These are all good suggestions.

I checked the Menenhall/Whale Watch combo tour website and that looks like a good option. My only concern with this is the group size seemed larger – did that seem to be an issue at all? If not that really might suit our needs the best.

If you want them to see the St. Theresa's shrine- then you need to combine all this together, with the cab picking up at the whale watch or Mendenhall. Otherwise- you are adding over an hour backtracking. And with you wanting to do 3 activities, you do not have time for.

Not sure what you are looking at?? You do NOT want a whale watch/Mendenhall Hall TOUR. You want a drop off/ pick up ONLY. Leaving the time open, is a huge advantage, "tours" are usually only 45 minutes, which is rushing, if you want to see the visitor center, or walk the Nugget Falls trail. With them in their 80's Photo Point may be the farthest they go, but it is a nice walk, with benches for a relaxing option.

It is imperative, you interview and arrange your cab tour in advance, and have ALL the details of where you are going known. As I already mentioned, there could be a stop at MacDonalds, or maybe, pick up requests with the driver? Depending on your "schedule" eating when the whale watch is coming back in, could work? Adding some snack food packages?

The one we went on had a small group, 8 or 9 people total. The boat we were on only held 20 max. We were grouped with other people coming and going to the Glacier, but that was just for the bus ride.