P & O Drink Packages

NZBear

i don't think the $79 a day package is worth it.

We tend to buy only a $27 bottle of Markview shiraz in the Waterfront that can be taken to the cabin and bars or Long Island Iced Tea costing $16.

Neither are included in the package. We don't drink enough to make it worthwhile.

You also need to factor in port visits when you are away from the ship for hours and therefore not consuming package drinks.

A woman on the Dawn's November 7 PNG cruise was going to complain about treatment of her daughter who had asked for another drink while still drinking the first, finished it quickly and was reported for skulling with a warning placed on her card. So it may not be ideal for party animals.

The other downside is the service once everyone gets a package. I did a cruise on Solstice where virtually every adult had a drinks package and the bar service was absolutely rubbish. Short staffed and slow. And to add insult to injury I had the Top Shelf package and virtually none of the bars had any of the advertised top shelf labels. In the main bar one night I tried to get a good Malt first, then a Chivas then a Black Label and the only scotch they could offer was JW Red. The Top Shelf package was a total ripoff.I guess if they think they've already got your grog money in advance then there's no need for the staff to work hard to get it on board.

Gerko, you may be clairvoyant. I hope your Solstice experience is not repeated on upcoming P&O sailings but suspect it will be!

P&O have launched their latest promotion, heralded as It's our shout! Fares are down and as they put it "To welcome you to the new era of P&O we're shouting each Cruiseling (?) a Premium Beverage Package on cruises 7 nights or more. " I wonder if anyone booked and paid for a PBP before this promotion took off?

I wonder if anyone booked and paid for a PBP before this promotion took off?

I did, but we booked early and got very good OBC included in our fare, nevertheless I thought that maybe the drinks package would be a better option, so I checked it all out:

• My two cruises that exceed 7 days, with the first all the verandahs and suites are booked out and the second I got notification that they won't hold veranda rooms because there are only a couple left. So if I hadn't booked early would not have got my rooms.
  • Had drinks package included on Solstice and paid for it on Diamond Princess, while it was convenient you had the mentality of 'oh I have a package, what will I drink next" and I am not a big drinker.
  • Our cruises have not gone down in price, in fact are slightly dearer, I suppose because they are selling well.

So when I sorted it all out, I think I prefer having my OBC and other little perks (early embarkation etc), so I don't feel hard done by. But if I had booked recently before the offer and had not got my early booking perks, I would have been a little peeved and been onto my TA with threats of 'get me the offer or I cancel all my cruises", it has worked before with Celebrity.

• 2 weeks later...

P&O have been doing a big "free premium drink package". So when I see a good price I speak to the travel agent. So the price with the "free" drink package is $1599pp. OR you can book the "new" discounted special at $799pp but with no drink package. :eek::eek:

I don't drink that much to warrant paying double. Good price though for an 11 night, 5 island cruise (February).

P&O have been doing a big "free premium drink package". So when I see a good price I speak to the travel agent. So the price with the "free" drink package is $1599pp. OR you can book the "new" discounted special at $799pp but with no drink package. :eek::eek:

I don't drink that much to warrant paying double. Good price though for an 11 night, 5 island cruise (February).

Interesting. The included package AND a Discounted fare may only apply to Aria sailings that are not selling due to the poor reviews. P&O do cover themselves by stating Selected Cruises and Conditions apply. Proves it is worth checking and rechecking.

• 3 weeks later...