Bahia mar or Best Western plus oceanside

sam73

A room in the Bahia Mar has been our choice several times. We get a southern partial ocean view in the tower building. I think Bahia is a better location...B.W. is a bit further south. But on the beachside. Bahia is directly across the street with a walkway over the highway.

Haven't been in the rooms at B.W. But I think breakfast might be included?

I'd say either will work for a one night stay.

Edited by eandj

Bahia Mar is going to undergo a rather massive construction project, but not sure when that will begin. I'm hedging my bets for next January, as I'm booked there, but also have my original reservation at Embassy Suites still. I hate holding 2 different hotels, but if I find out in the next couple months about when construction will start, I can release the one I'm not going to use. We are staying 2 nights pre-cruise, and am not really interested in staying right in the middle of a construction zone.

I'd guess nothing happening in Jan. But you are probably wise to watch what happens. If you are booked in the tower, and just staying a night, I wouldn't worry. The location by the beach is waaaay beter than the hotels on the busy17th st.

When we were there this past January, the manager went thru all the plans with DH. Here it is July and those plans are just hitting the city planners now. Thngs move slowly.

Edited by eandj

I'd guess nothing happening in Jan. But you are probably wise to watch what happens. If you are booked in the tower, and just staying a night, I wouldn't worry. The location by the beach is waaaay beter than the hotels on the busy17th st.

When we were there this past January, the manager went thru all the plans with DH. Here it is July and those plans are just hitting the city planners now. Thngs move slowly.

Yeah, I figured things would move slowly, but you never know. Plus, you never know what part they are going to start on first too, being such a complex project. We have 2 nights there, arriving on a Thursday evening, for a Saturday cruise. We will have a rental car, so if I decide to go to 17th St, we can easily travel around as well. Just thinking actually staying on the beach in the first place would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking at the Bahia Mar site today and they have a disclaimer up that they are under renovation until November 2015. That's fine for us since we go in January, but obviously that won't be the big renovation inside of 4 months.

Was looking at the Bahia Mar site today and they have a disclaimer up that they are under renovation until November 2015. That's fine for us since we go in January, but obviously that won't be the big renovation inside of 4 months.

That particular building shouldn't have anything done to it but there will be construction all around it. FWIW, construction will not begin anytime soon because they can't do a thing until they relocate the fire station and they haven't begun construction on a new fire station.

That particular building shouldn't have anything done to it but there will be construction all around it. FWIW, construction will not begin anytime soon because they can't do a thing until they relocate the fire station and they haven't begun construction on a new fire station.

I'm just reporting what their website has on it. As I said, it's obviously not the big project since that will take years, not months. If I'm so inclined, I might call them to see what type of renovations they are doing from now until November. The big project does involve making the existing tower taller, in addition to the other 2 towers being built.

Missed the part about the fire station in this reply last night. You are thinking of a different condo project on the south side of the marina, where Bahia Cabana is. That has nothing to do with Bahia Mar's construction.

• 1 month later...
Bahia Mar is going to undergo a rather massive construction project, but not sure when that will begin. I'm hedging my bets for next January, as I'm booked there, but also have my original reservation at Embassy Suites still. I hate holding 2 different hotels, but if I find out in the next couple months about when construction will start, I can release the one I'm not going to use. We are staying 2 nights pre-cruise, and am not really interested in staying right in the middle of a construction zone.

I see that their website says construction through November. Is that the renovations you are talking about? We have a stay there in December so wondering if it will be newly renovated at that time?

I'm just reporting what their website has on it. As I said, it's obviously not the big project since that will take years, not months. If I'm so inclined, I might call them to see what type of renovations they are doing from now until November. The big project does involve making the existing tower taller, in addition to the other 2 towers being built.

If you call would you please share the info you learn?

There is currently no construction going on with either the Bahia Mar or the Bahia Cabana area.

Since season starts next month and #FLIBS is within 8 weeks, there will be no construction before April or May.

Edited by BlueHerons

There is currently no construction going on with either the Bahia Mar or the Bahia Cabana area.

Since season starts next month and #FLIBS is within 8 weeks, there will be no construction before April or May.

Thanks for the update!!

Thanks for the update!!

You are welcome! I did my run back there yesterday morning and figured people would like an update.

They will state moving the yachts out of the marina for the boat show in the next couple of weeks so if anyone sees a partially empty marina, that is why.

I see that their website says construction through November. Is that the renovations you are talking about? We have a stay there in December so wondering if it will be newly renovated at that time?

I've seen the notice on their site as well. It's way too soon for them to be starting the major project they announced earlier this year (no city hall moves that fast lol), and it will be a lot larger project than could be finished over the course of a few months. It will be a couple years long anyway. I haven't called to see what's up, but I assume it's some minor interior work, maybe moving some facilities around in preparation for the major project starting next year.