First time to Lisbon

Doing our first. Visit to Lisbon. We arrive by ship May 28, 2016. We plan to rent an apt on air no and have looked at many properties. We are wondering what area of Lisbon would be best for our 5 day stay. my hubby isn't into walking London distances without stopping along the way and he does not do hills very well which I have read are many. We just want a comfortable are to stay and enjoy the sites

If there is something available by the Rossio Square area (think this is called Baixa?) It's near the train station that will take you to Sintra. It's also near a metro stop. Also near the elevator up to Chiado and Barrio Alto (if I'm recalling the areas correctly). Rossio area is flat and just to the northeast there are a number of restaurants (Barrio Alto also has a slew of restaurants). More east you will hit the Alfama, which is up a hill.

That said, I can't recall much in the way of apartments in the Rossio area. Down Ave. Liberdade by Parque Eduardo VII, I remember seeing a number of apartment buildings. You would be a couple metro stops from the Rossio area if you found something there.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed last year around Rossio, and I agree it's a good area. It is probably more expensive than renting from air b&B or something like that, but we stayed at the Lisbonaire apartments on Rue da Gloria 16. They will rent for a day or for a week, and they have various sizes of apartments from studio to one bedrooms, all fully equipped. Each apartment is decorated by an artist and each is therefore different. I think we paid around $100 for a large studio apartment in August. Don't consider it if you don't like fairly contemporary furnishings. We, however, loved it. There are plenty of places to eat around there, public transportation, including Restauradores metro, a tourist info center, a fun funicular (Gloria) very close to the hotel, and it was perfect for us. Check it out: http://www.lisbonaire.com And yes, I think it's considered the Baixa area.

Edited by roothy123

Oh, just went on airbnb. Here's a screenshot of the area I and a couple other people are talking about. There looks to be a great place for $68 around there. It's advertised as New in the Very Heart of Lisbon" by Olga. It's close to the train station, but that's not a big deal - trains are behind a pretty building front and I assume there's no noise where she is. If the apartment sounded good, I'd stay there in a heartbeat. Keep in mind, of course, that some hotels, apartments, rooms, bed & breakfasts are a little less "snazzy" than some typical U.S. establishments. The beds may be a little harder, the elevator may not exist, etc. I actually love those places, though.

Anyway, the area I would look for is around the "Restauradores" or "Rossio" metro stop in the Baixa area. See attached map - if you can read it. It's hard to post good pics or maps on here. If that doesn't work, I agree that the area above off Libertad is a good place to look, plus the area south of Rossio area, or probably most places in Baixa or Chiado may be good for being centrally located and served by lots of transportation. Can't guarantee no hills, however - Lisbon's a little tough that way! You'll love the city, though!

1952633787_lisbonneargloria.jpg.6f255997b7b24cfd3718abed3b0b2e50.jpg

Edited by roothy123

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Roothy

I follow you on the Oceania board. I am now trying to find Olga's post on Airbnb.

If you have any more info about contacting please let me know. Deb

Guess you'll have to find her through airbnb and send her a message (or book). Here's how I found her place:

Put in Lisbon, adjusted the price sliders to around $65-80. Put in dates of 9/23 - 9/26 to test. Not sure if you'll see her listing if she's booked your actual dates. For dates I chose, a listing for her (plus others) popped up - shows picture, lots of tan color, of ladder to loft (I think - make sure you can handle that!) and a washing machine. Listing starts out with a picture of her, price of $71 and this description:

NEW! In the very heart of Lisbon!!!

Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal

Entire home/apt

2 Guests

1 Bedroom

1 Bed

 Instant Book

It looks basic and homey. There were some other places around there. I may have put in "Baixa" to narrow the field, but if not, based on the area we chose last year, I would be happy picking anything that looks/sounds OK in that area.

Good luck.

Edited by roothy123