Voyager-Big difference from E1 to D1 balcony sq. ft.?

ILSteelerFan

Hello - long time browser, first time poster here. I love finding out tips and insight from these boards and I actually have a question and hoping that the RCCL experts/veterans here can help me out.

We're considering taking Voyager of the Seas for a 5-night Bermuda run out of Bayonne, NJ. We can tack it on to a visit to the in-laws in Connecticut, so why not? We'd rather go out of Manhattan, but time to try new things, yes?

Due to a mix-up by the Accounting desk at my (usually reliable) travel agent, they didn't ticket my reservation in time for a D1 cabin on 9 deck aft (not all the way in the back), so it is lost.

The agent called me today, very apologetic, offered me a 5% discount and coupon book and has 3 cabins held for me - one in D1 on 9 deck forward (held by the accountant), another in D1 on 6 deck forward and one in E1 on 8 deck midships (in front of the 'hump').

OK (sorry, but I'm wordy) - I actually think that the E1 on 8 deck is better since it is midships even though it is a bit smaller (in fact this cabin had just opened up today). And there seems to be some differences out there about the size of the D1/D2/D3 cabins - many travel agent sites list these as 188 sq. ft. w/50 sq. ft. balcony. RCCL lists it as 202 sq. ft. w/50 sq. ft. balcony. So I called RCCL directly and quizzed them about the specific cabin numbers and lo and behold, the RCCL agent told me 188/50. I asked her why the website said 202/50 and she said that sometimes they vary.

So 2 questions: (1) Are the D1/D2/D3 cabins 188/50 or 202/50? (2) Is there a huge difference in size from a D1 to an E1. 15 square feet doesn't seem like much - does anyone know where that 15 square feet is? (The RCCL agent did not know).

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

How many people are going to be in this room? We just had an E-1 aft on the Voyager, my son slept in a bed that pulled out from the ceiling over us. The room had a loveseat (did not open up). I believe the D-1 has a "sofa" that pulls out. That seems to be where the extra footage is (in the size of either loveseat/sofa).

if it is just the 2 of you the E 1 is a better cabin/location etc.. teh difference comes in the sofa/loveseat and actually upon carefull examiintaion of our E1 and a friends d1 teh only difference besides the sofa was that our E1 had a slighly deeper balcony (only by like 2 inches but... heck i think that is where they made up for teh sofa.

Ruttie & DPurcell58, thanks for your quick replies. I especially like Ruttie's description of carefully examining the difference between your E1 and your friend's D1 (that's great!!).

I have to decide which way to go by Friday (today is Wednesday) as this reservation expires then. So, I'm happy to get any/all feedback I can.

Thanks!

Yes, it doesn't sound like much difference between E1/E2 and D1/D2/D3 on Voyager.

Of course, since DH thought the D1 cabin was going to be 202 sq. ft. (from RCCI website) and not 188 sq. ft. (as the RCCI phone agent, and my travel agent and other places have confirmed), I think he thinks that this going from a D1 to an E1 is a huge downgrade....I am now convinced that it is not, especially considering the midships location of the new E1 cabin.

I know from booking inside cabins on QE2 where the cabins were all so different even in the same class, that I'd quiz the Cunard phone agents about square footage. I was surprised to see the discrepancy here on a relatively new RCCL ship. The phone agent just told me that some cabins vary (OK??). Seems a little misleading to me - maybe some of the aft balconies in D1/D2/D3 are slightly bigger in cabin size.

I wish I knew why RCCL puts 202 sq. ft. on their website for their D1/D2/D3 cabins, when lots of them appear to be 188 as per their phone agents?? Strange, indeed?

Thanks to those who provided input and feedback. We decided to go with the E1 balcony cabin on 8 deck which appears to be almost precisely midships.

Since there are just the 2 of us, we can handle the love seat instead of the couch (from the D1/D2/D3 class) and I like the location (passenger decks above and below, midships location).

Better yet, because of the travel agent screw up, we had been given another chance to get a different cabin without penalty (as it is so late for this 13Nov trip). So, we saved a little coin (from D1 to E1) for a slightly smaller cabin, but in a much better location...works for me.

This is our first time on RCCL. We've done big ships before (QM2 last year), but DH is a little nervous. He keeps saying '3,114 of my closest friends'. I think we'll be fine - besides there's always the balcony to retreat to!!

If you email me your cabin number I will do my best to get pictures of your cabin for you. Sometimes the cabin stewards will allow you to take pictures of a room after the people leave on the last day. We usually wait to get off the ship and have a long breakfast before heading home.

bobbieajd@aol.com

Bobbie

Archived