Calling all experts on Culebra and Vieques...

Gonedownlately?

We're planning to take a couple days after the end of our next cruise (not 'til April '06, I'm sad to say...) and explore these islands. We understand that they may still be a little rustic and shell-shocked, but from what we've read they sound beautiful, isolated, remote...

So we'd ask of you experts/locals:

1. How do we get there from San Juan? I'm guessing there are short flights; what about water taxis/ferries? Is there direct ferry service between Culebra and Vieques? Or do you have to connect through PR on the way first? Any information on travel times and costs?
  2. Where would you stay on each island?
  3. Where would you eat on each island?
  4. Best beaches are on which island?

We've looked at a website called gotopuertorico.com, which looks quasi-governmental: do you know of any other sites that may help us in our research?

Any and all information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Hello,

We will be staying in Old San Juan 2 days prior to our cruise this November. We were thinking of going to Culebra. I found a ferry schedule at:

http://apprportal.prpa.gobierno.pr/servlet/page?_pageid=55,106,91,101&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30

Also try:

http://www.travelandsports.com/

There are also many catamaran day sails to small islands around Puerto Rico including Culebra that I have come across.

I'll post another reply to this one if I find something else that might help you.

• 3 months later...

went to culebra on dec 6; spent the night before at the very luxurous fajardo inn, took the VERY cheap ferry to culebra, chartered a catamarin to snorkle (fish larger than I am use dto seeing, psycodelic, beaches deserted), ate at a snack shop on the canal near the port (had huge bueatiful begging iguanas which the waitress wanted to shoo away) then took a taxi to beautiful Flaminco beach (water was rougher than I like) then ferry back to Fajardo, took the rental car back to our base, El Canario by the Sea in SJ.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent 2 days in Vieques pre-cruise Dec 04. At that time I had a great deal at the Wyndham which is now a Starwood. We hired a car to take us from SJU to the ferry in Fajardo. I think it was about $65. Ferry was cheap. There are taxis to take you around but a jeep is desirable in order to reach the isolated beaches. The beaches are incredible. The town of Esperanza is on the opposite side of island from ferry. You could stay there and not need to rent a car. A must-do is the Bio-bay tour. It's like swimming in a sea of stars. There's plenty of info available at enchanted-isle.com Hope you go.If you like beaches, you won't be disappointed.

Karmal --

Thanks for the info. Tell me, when you were on Vieques, did you stay at a Wyndham? Or did you stay at the Wyndham in San Juan before traveling to Vieques? I didn't notice a Wyndham/Starwood property when I cehcked out a list of hotels on Vieques.

Did you travel to Culebra at all?

Gonedownlately- I stayed at what was the Wyndham Martineau Bay on Vieques. It's now a Starwood hotel but still called the Martineau Bay. I didn't visit Culebra except for the ferry stopped there for 30 mins. (there is a direct ferry from Fajardo to Vieques)

Thanks for the clarification, Karmal. It looks like a lovely property. We also like the look of the Inn of the Blue Horizon...

It sounds like you took the "high speed" ferry out of San Juan, rather than the "regular" ferry out of Fajardo? Was it easy to find the terminal? We'll be getting off the ship and hope to make a quick connection to Vieques; do recall what time your ferry departed?

And thanks for posting the link to your photos!

• 1 month later...

And also, if you remember, which company did you use for the bio-bay tour at night?

thanks!

I spent 2 days in Vieques pre-cruise Dec 04. At that time I had a great deal at the Wyndham which is now a Starwood. We hired a car to take us from SJU to the ferry in Fajardo. I think it was about $65. Ferry was cheap. There are taxis to take you around but a jeep is desirable in order to reach the isolated beaches. The beaches are incredible. The town of Esperanza is on the opposite side of island from ferry. You could stay there and not need to rent a car. A must-do is the Bio-bay tour. It's like swimming in a sea of stars. There's plenty of info available at enchanted-isle.com Hope you go.If you like beaches, you won't be disappointed.

Archived