Anyone back from Jewel of the Seas from Boston?

cruiseabout

I don't have too much time to write a review yet but I will in a couple of days.

We had a blast, the ship is beautiful. Food was great (when they weren't out of it.) We did have some problems but did not let us ruin our cruise. The problems were mostly little ones, but for as many little ones as we had they did cause some disappointment. In a few words, the cruise seemed just a little "off" the usual RCCL standards.

My DH and I decided after this cruise to never cruise just after a crossing. The Caribbean band did not show up until we were out of the Caribbean, they were out of a lot of supplies so it seemed at least twice a day we heard, "sorry, we don't have that". We also grew tired of hearing "this is a transition cruise". The cruise director was never around and was only seen when he introduced the shows at night. The Captain didn't even show up at the party for past cruisers.

As I said, it didn't ruin our cruise but it was noticably not as good as we expect on RCCL. Most of the kinks we experience can probably be blamed on the "transition" along with the Cruise Director (Peter Benfield) and the Captain since they are the ones that set the tone for the ship.

This is a third-party report. My parents were on this cruise and I spoke to them briefly yesterday. They said the cruise was "wonderful" - food was excellent, weather perfect, ship extremely clean. My father is quite particular on food quality so for him to say this means something.

Only issue was that embarkation and disembarkation took awhile. My father rated the cruise an A++.

Is anyone back from their cruise on Jewel of the Seas from Boston/Caribbean/Bermuda? Just wondered your opinion. Sailing

Oct 2 and can't wait!

We're leaving on the 2nd, also. have you signed up for the meet and mingle?

I have a couple of questions for anyone who has returned from the Jewel.

1. What time were the shows? We have the 7:45 seating and I was wondering what time the show will be for us?

2. Where did the ship dock in San Juan? Was it at the pier in Old San Juan or will we have to take a cab?

I can't wait to read a review. There isn't much time left. We leave on the 2nd. I can't wait! Thanks.

I was on the 9/12 sailing, and I have to say it was one of the best times we have had in 13 cruises. I read Birdie's above, and I am sure she had some problems, but we did not experience any of those. As a matter of fact, I spoke to the CD, Peter a few times. Also, I believe the captain was at the repeat party. We rated it a 9.

We did have some problems upon embarktation, as the computers went down and they had to "board" everyone manually. Just took a little extra time and we had to have our pictures taken the next day. There was also a problem with immigration in San Juan, but not due to RCI. We did not get off the ship for any excursion in SJ as we have been there many times.

We had early seating, and it was at 5:30 and our show was at 8. I have all the compasses at home, I will check tonight and try to answer any other questions in that regard.

We did not pack any liquor, but we did purchase it onboard and it was kept until the last night.

I wish I were going again, I really hated to get off the ship. the weather was beautiful, this ship was beautful and the crew was great.

We had dinner in both Chops and Portofino's, and both were excellent. the food in the diningroom, was also very good. Not hugh portions, but you could also order more than one. Our waiter, Daniella was exceptional.

I envy those of you that are cruising soon. Have a wonderful time.

Actually we enjoyed the 5:30 dining time. The show was at 8 and not nine so we got to enjoy other things during the night.

We didn't miss anything, don't forget that there are only 4 ports on this cruise, so not too much to hurry back from. We found this to be a very relaxing cruise, no rushing around.

Jewlrybabe waves Hello to Honey's Gal!!!:D

I have to agree with birdie16 somewhat..The cruise was just a tad off. But we were the first cruise on this itinerary, they will have everything down pat by the 2nd I'm sure.

My husband was dying for something they had on the menu one evening and watched what he ate all day waiting for this item. We get to the dining room and we were told that item was not going to be available on this trip..we was not a happy camper.

To answer some questions you have the best I can:

"What time were the shows? We have the 7:45 seating and I was wondering what time the show will be for us?"

Early seating show is at 8pm late is at 10pm

Do not miss Marty Allen's show!! He was awesome!

"Am wondering if anyone packed liquor in the checked luggage?"

No problem.

Muster drill is at 4:30 and the formal nights were the second day out and the next to the last evening.

I liked Peter Benfield, maybe because I met him at the M&M he always said hello when I saw him. He does a really good Quest.

I'm so happy the late show is at 10 pm. Usually with late seating the show is before dinner. I would rather go to the show after dinner. What were the shows like?

Which pier in San Juan were you docked at? In Old San Juan or at the Pan American Pier? Not that is really matters much, I was just wondering.

Thanks for all of the info. I'm getting so excited.

In the Safari Lounge....Peter does not just stay in the "Circle" he kind of hides on you all over the lounge. You find the item then you have to find him. It was fun.

Oh another thing that took us some time to figure out...If you want to play pool you have to go to the bartender at the Schooner Bar and ask for the key and the balls, you have to leave your sea pass card with him until you bring them back.

"Which pier in San Juan were you docked at? In Old San Juan or at the Pan American Pier? Not that is really matters much, I was just wondering."

I really don't know, we just did your customs thing and took in some free samples from the liquor stores and got back on...:cool:

There was what looked like a Carnival check in area if that helps.

Quoting from Honeygal's post:

"I was on the 9/12 sailing, and I have to say it was one of the best times we have had in 13 cruises. I read Birdie's above, and I am sure she had some problems, but we did not experience any of those. As a matter of fact, I spoke to the CD, Peter a few times. Also, I believe the captain was at the repeat party. We rated it a 9."

You're correct about the repeat party, my DH just informed me it was the party for the Platinum/Diamond party he didn't attend. The hotel director spoke on his behalf and oh boy did he get an ear full! That was not a happy crowd...just for the record, we kept our mouths shut even though we agreed with the majority of the complaints.

We were disappointed we only had two production shows, rather than the usual three for a 10 day...one more thing that was caused by the "transition".

We had a great time and the ship was beautiful...I guess by saying the cruise was a "little off" we would rate it a 9 rather than a 10 like we usually rate RCCL.

Greetings to Birdie16, Honeysgal and Jewelrybabe.

I was also on the 09/12 voyage.

First time on the radiance class and really loved the ship! Previous cruises included the very largest and the very smallest.

Yes there were some glitches to get past. The late arrival of the caribbean band being the biggest.

The crew were all friendly and efficient and I have to say that Peter Benfeld was more visible and approachable than many of the other CD's that I have encountered.

Despite the San Juan inconvenience the cruise and weather were wonderful!

So many walking opportunities on board! Betwween the walks, fun fitness, stretch class and sit to be fit I ended up with many more ship shape dollars than ever before!

Good to know we stayed active as the food was terrific! Portofino's food was better than than the food at Chops but we enjoyed the service in Chops a little better. The Windjammer was truly delicious. My husband is now requesting stir fry! He also thinks that we helped "pay for the cruise" with the amount of fresh pineapple that we consumed at breakfast!

Can't wait to book our next cruise!!!!!

Archived