Sunshine or Dream?

Barbluvstocruz

I'm looking at a family cruise for Thanksgiving next year and debating between the Dream and the Sunshine.

I think I'm leaning more towards the Sunshine for the Eastern Caribbean ports of call, the updated dining choices and the Sky Course for the kids.

However, before we decide I would love to hear your opinions of the two ships.

Thanks!

Barb

:)

We took our kids on the Dream for our first family cruise and they couldn't have loved it more. They were in total Awe. There was so much to keep us all busy and my daughter cried when it was time to leave. Our next family cruise will be on the Magic next May and the kids are thrilled. That being said, I also feel like you can't go wrong. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Edited by xrayann06

You won't go wrong with either choice, our favorite 2 ships. Many cruisers will tell you bad things about Sunshine, I would say that is much different than other Carnival ships.

How do you feel it is different than other Carnival ships? I've been on a handful and don't feel that any have been hugely different.

Thanks! :)

There decor is all different, they have great food, but for our next cruise we booked RC on Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan going to Aruba, Bonaire, Curaco, St Maarten and Antigua, just wished Carnival would do more sailings out of San Juan, they usually have two ships out of there.

How do you feel it is different than other Carnival ships? I've been on a handful and don't feel that any have been hugely different.

Thanks! :)

There are 4 pay dining venues, they handle YTD differently than all other ships, large theater is small and converts into disco late at night, Serenity deck is large and very nice with a pool and waterfall.

Done 'em both, and for me, there is no question that "Dream" would be my choice. I personally find that there are LOTS of positive aspects to "Dream", and lots of things about "Sunshine" that I didn't care so much for. Didn't like the fact that the main showroom aboard "Sunshine", wasn't really a main showroom. :eek: Didn't care for the fact that Serenity Deck was far from Serene, due to the NOISE coming from the main pool. :mad: Just lots of little things, for me, that make me shy away from booking "Sunshine" again. ;)

"SKY"

I have not been on the Dream but we sailed Sunshine in May 2015. We loved the ship and everything it had to offer. I will agree that the Serenity Deck was noisy due to its location but that would be my only complaint. The crew was fantastic and the dining choices were varied. Loved Bondai and JuJu Kitchen as well as Alchemy Bar. Jaime Dee, the cruise director, was by far our favorite; if she wasn't dancing on the lobby bar, she was hosting a Veteran's Salute or chatting with guests in the piano bar.

I have been on both ships. I liked them both. I believe the Sunshine is great for food options (the no upcharge type) and kid activities. I believe the Dream is better for the public spaces used for entertainment. I like the decor better on the Sunshine. There were times when we had to wait in line on both ships, so it can be crowded on both. Other times, there we no lines on both ships. I would select my ship based upon the ports.

I have never been on Sunshine, Was on Destiny her former name before upgrades and loved her, Smaller ship but not to small. Dream I loved but sometimes lines would be long. Its all a matter of what you want. more ppl Just depends Ive always had a great time on ALL my cruises. If you like larger crowds go on the Dream.

Been on the Dream once and Sunshine 2 times with the 3rd coming up on January. Loved the Dream and had a cove balcony. Loved the tile work on this ship. Does not have as many food options as the Sunshine. Never felt crowded at all.

The Sunshine has its good and bad points. It has everything the Dream has and more on a smaller ship. It can feel very crowded on sea days. The buffet food was not so good and I usually like them. They have several pay extra restaurants to chose from. They are well worth it. You can eat at the Italian one for free for lunch. JiJis is wonderful. It is Asian. Both cost $15 pp extra. They also have a sushi restaurant that you pay for what you order. Very reasonable. Steak House is like all the rest of the ships. $35pp.

The bright and sometimes gaudy decor on Carnival ships is toned way down on Sunshine. This seems to be the way Carnival is going with the new ones.

The biggest complaint I had with Sunshine after already spending 17 days on her is the cabins. My 11 day cruise I had a Riviera interior. It was a very big room. Biggest I have ever had on a ship but it had no furniture. All it had was a king bed, one night stand and a stool for the desk. I could have put another full size bed in there it was that big. It had no fridge either. Some do and some don't on it. Why they could not have put a chair in there in beyond me. I have a bad back and I need a chair with a back to sit in. Took a few days but after some pestering I got one. Had air conditioning issues also. The mattresses on both cruises on this ship were hard. I have always loved Carnivals beds but these were different. Heard several people complaining. Steward told me they have changed the brand and are phasing them in as the old ones wear out. My second trip on Sunshine was better. Better buffet food. Had a balcony with a fridge.

Jamie D is the best thing about Sunshine. By far the best CD we have ever had.

Both ships are good. Sunshine has better ports in my opinion. I had no complaints about the Dream but both ships are fun.

Edited by CrimsonTideGal