Cigarettes and Cigars

CruiseMom87

Hello all!

My hubby smokes and he asked me to come on here and find out something.

If you buy cigarettes in the duty free shop on board, can you smoke them on board?

If you buy cigarettes/cigars in port, can you smoke them on board? Do you have to notify the crew that you have them?

How many cartons of cigarettes or cigars is allowed through customs on debarkation?

Thank you!!!!

Hello all!

My hubby smokes and he asked me to come on here and find out something.

If you buy cigarettes in the duty free shop on board, can you smoke them on board? - YES

If you buy cigarettes/cigars in port, can you smoke them on board? Do you have to notify the crew that you have them? - YES

How many cartons of cigarettes or cigars is allowed through customs on debarkation? - See Below

Thank you!!!!

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores. These products are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States."

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info

I bought a carton in August. I think they were around $35. They offer discounts if you buy more than one carton.

Last April we bought a pre packed carton of 5 cartons on the ship. It was $135.00 for Marlboro lights. We had to pay $10. duty on each carton in Baltimore, but it was still quite a bit cheaper than buying them here.