Livorno to Pisa/Florence

Kreva5

Please can someone advise me how easy it is to reach Pisa/Florence on your own by train. We are in our 40s and fit and healthy.

I have researched it, but would just like to here from people who have experienced it.

The other option would be to book a P&O tour for £53.00 each!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year we went on the P&O 'Pisa and Florence on your own excursion'. It was expensive in some ways - £43 each I seen to recall, but we got stuck in traffic on the way back. If it had been a private trip there's a good chance we would have been stuck there!

Last year we went on the P&O 'Pisa and Florence on your own excursion'. It was expensive in some ways - £43 each I seen to recall, but we got stuck in traffic on the way back. If it had been a private trip there's a good chance we would have been stuck there!

Thank-you, shallwe. Did you enjoy the trip or think that the two stops were too much? Maybe more time in Florence?

I was thinking of the train, the more I look into it, the more my head spins! Weighing up the money saved against the convenience of a organised tour!

We've done Florence by train. It was a bit of a pain to be honest. We were unable to get out of the port without paying for an excursion or bus of some kind (this was with RCI though) so we had to take a ships bus to the train station (maybe 15 min journey) and then a took a train to Florence which was about 90 mins. When we came back we had to time it so that our train arrived back in time to meet the bus which was quite restrictive. It was all fine and we had no issues but it was unnecessarily laborious, although it was about half the price of the other options. Unlike Rome, where we'd definitely do it on our own again, if we went back to Florence I'd pay the money and take the ship "on your own" excursion.

I know someone posted on here a while back that the own your own tour was the best option.

Taken there, dropped off, came back at the pick up time, and all the time inbetween was to do as they wished. They actually felt they had more time as they were not having to worry about getting back. P and O had that worry. They had tried many ways of doing it on public transport, and although that was cheaper the peace of mind made them do the on your own.

We normally plump for DIY trips, but for Florence and Pisa we have booked the ships excursion. It didn`t matter how hard we looked we were not happy with the timing factoring. When you work out the convenience of being taken there and taken back to the ship with no worry about delays that's worth the extra money, well for us it is.

Regards to all

W&P

We did Pisa from our cruise by bus and train, we got off the ship, took the shuttle bus and public bus to the train station, went to Pisa, had a look around the leaning tower, the cathedral and the duomo and travelled back by train/ bus and were back onboard by about 3pm. The whole journey cost us around £20 per person including the entrance to the museums in Pisa whereas our ships excursion would have cost us about three times the price for the same length of time

We did Pisa from our cruise by bus and train, we got off the ship, took the shuttle bus and public bus to the train station, went to Pisa, had a look around the leaning tower, the cathedral and the duomo and travelled back by train/ bus and were back onboard by about 3pm. The whole journey cost us around £20 per person including the entrance to the museums in Pisa whereas our ships excursion would have cost us about three times the price for the same length of time

My post was referring to Florence and Pisa on your own. If we were just going to go to Pisa I would go on the bus and train. As we want to do both to us the ships excursion makes sense simply because of the timing constraints.

Regards to all

W&P

My post was referring to Florence and Pisa on your own. If we were just going to go to Pisa I would go on the bus and train. As we want to do both to us the ships excursion makes sense simply because of the timing constraints.

Regards to all

W&P

Sorry, never saw that, it makes it a lot easier doing the ships tour when you want to see both of them and P and O's tours seem quite reasonably priced as well.

Thank you, to all that replied to my post. You have all been very helpful.

As we would like to do both I think I will just pay the extra and do the tour.

It looks like it's to much of a risk! I did consider doing only one of them! But my daughter would like to go to Pisa and my husband Florence! So this way they are both happy! Although my pocket will be slightly lighter! I think it works out about £60.00 difference! Never mind you can't take it will you!![emoji23]

Thank-you, shallwe. Did you enjoy the trip or think that the two stops were too much? Maybe more time in Florence?

I was thinking of the train, the more I look into it, the more my head spins! Weighing up the money saved against the convenience of a organised tour!

Sorry for the late reply.

The two stops were fine for a first time visit for us to get an idea of the two places. We stopped off in Pisa for about an hour which meant that there were plenty of photo opportunities but not enough time to actually go inside the various buildings.

Then in Florence, we had pre-bought some tickets online for the Doumo and the various attachments. I'm not sure whether it was much cheaper doing it that way but it meant that you didn't need to queue anywhere to get it.

I would certainly need more time in Florence in any subsequent visit as I fell in love with the place. What we saw in the time permitted (I think it was about 4 hours?) wetted our appetite.