Catamaran and trail along Dunn's River Falls...or tubing?

sasha96

We are going to Jamaica in a few months with a group of mixed ages and abilities....we have those in their 60s, 50's, lower 40's/upper 30's, teens, and a 5 and 7 year old! A few have bad back problems or other health issues (diabetes/neuropathy). Climbing the falls isn't an option for us as a group, but we may still want to experience them. We also don't want to sit on a long bus/van ride to get there.

I believe I heard of an excursion where you take a catamaran ride most of the way to the falls. I know there is a trail alongside the falls. What do you think of the walk along the trail with stops to "pop into" the falls for a brief experience? Any tour recommendations? We will be on RCI Oasis of the Seas, if that makes a difference. We would use a private tour operator who has a track record of reliability and quality.

Any other tour recommendations? Tubing? We are not cut out for jumping off cliffs! We also aren't interested in a beach break, since we have Labadee and will likely do a beach in Cozumel.

THANKS!!!!

Sasha96, I believe you are referring to the same excursion that I am interested in. It is the Champagne Catamaran Magical Escape and Dunn's River Falls. I can't find any reviews of it either. I don't know how long the bus ride is and don't want to be stuck on a bus for the majority of the tour. Most have said that it is about an hour from Falmouth to the falls. That would be okay but any longer and I would not be interested. I would love to see the falls, but may not climb them as I have heard that they are very slippery! This is through RC, which I prefer on this trip as I have not been to Jamaica before and am not familiar with it. Please post if you can find anything about this excursion.:)

Previously, my daughter and I took a bus trip to Dunn River from Falmouth. We are booked on another cruise and my daughter asked to go to the falls again. I remember it being approximately a 1 1/2 hour ride on a small tour bus. I did not climb the falls (was afraid I would fall and break something) and it was a long, wet, cold ride back to the ship afterwards on the A/C bus for most of the tour group. Looking forward to reading others responses to the sail trip to the falls.

Sasha96, I believe you are referring to the same excursion that I am interested in. It is the Champagne Catamaran Magical Escape and Dunn's River Falls. I can't find any reviews of it either. I don't know how long the bus ride is and don't want to be stuck on a bus for the majority of the tour. Most have said that it is about an hour from Falmouth to the falls. That would be okay but any longer and I would not be interested. I would love to see the falls, but may not climb them as I have heard that they are very slippery! This is through RC, which I prefer on this trip as I have not been to Jamaica before and am not familiar with it. Please post if you can find anything about this excursion.:)

You are probably not finding any reviews because it's a ship sponsored (private) excursion. The cruise line contracts the tour company and names it whatever they want. I've sailed from Ocho Rios on a Cat to Dunns, but never from Falmouth. I would think it would be fun, as catamaran sailings are usually a ton of fun.

Dunn's River Falls from the bottom is a fun hike up the falls, or you can take the stairs/walkway up the side. I've always done the falls from the bottom up and walked "down" the path back to a boat, so not sure how hard the walk "up" would be, but I would think it's not too difficult. There are some nice spots along the way to view the falls and I believe even get in the water.

The ride from Falmouth by road will be about an hour or so. Whether or not that's what the tour consists of, I don't know. Take along a bag with something dry to change into for the ride back.

Another fun option in the same area is Mystic Mountain. You take a chairlift up to the top of the mountain with gorgeous views, a pool with a slide, restaurant, zip-lines and the bobsled ride. It's a good excursion for all ages as there are a number of different options for all activity levels.