Fantasy 10-11-15 Review: HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove

waywyrd

The main thing we wanted to do in the Dominican Republic was go to the Teleferico. So we walked to the taxi area and almost cried when we saw the posted prices for taxis. It would cost us $110 just for the taxi to go to town and the Teleferico? I was rethinking my decision to not book an excursion. Sheesh. But I guess they saw the look of horror on our faces and knocked it down to $80. Still too flipping high IMO. But we really didn't want to hang out in the port all day, so we hopped in and took off. It was a nice new, air conditioned van. The driver spoke very little English but he was a sweet old guy.

If you're good at bargaining, you could probably do a lot better than me. I hate arguing prices.

At the Teleferico, the second you step out of the cab, they try to stick you with a "tour guide." You can tell them no, but this is one time I accepted because they can take a ton of nice pictures. Plus he got us seats in the cable car by the front window. We ended up giving him twenty bucks - you pay whatever you feel like it was worth.

Incoming!

IMG_1339.jpg

Not a fan of heights, but the views are awesome up here...

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

$80?! TripAdvisor told me $10 entrance fee, and I assumed the cab prices wouldn't be insane because it wasn't that far away. How much would a cab for 4 all in one cost to Teleferico without an excursion?

For $80, we'll all go snorkeling....

Great review by the way! Loving the pics, thank you for taking the time to write it! :D

Edited by cruisexlife

I *think* it was about $30 to just go to the Teleferico...our price was higher because we wanted to go to Puerto Plata, also. Either way, I think the taxi prices were outrageous. I really wish I had taken a picture of the price list.

I *think* it was about $30 to just go to the Teleferico...our price was higher because we wanted to go to Puerto Plata, also. Either way, I think the taxi prices were outrageous. I really wish I had taken a picture of the price list.

Yeah wow that sounds pretty bad. For that amount of money, we will either do the Carnival excursion through the city, or this $60 tour we found through an independent company to go climbing through caves and rivers, and even jump into a cave pool.

One more week has me stressing to get the tours right, and my biggest problems are Amber Cove and Grand Turk. Thank you so much for writing this review, it's helping a lot!

• 4 weeks later...
Just a quick question? Was Karib rentals easy to find? We have reserved 3 ATVs from them... Thanks..

Yep! Just walk past Margaritaville, through the gate...Karib is set up on the side of the road just past the gate with a bunch of golf carts and ATVs. Can't miss him.

Check your tires before you take off! :p