RCCL with young kids?

ibeplato

We're looking into a Freedom of the Seas caribbean cruise next November with our kids, who will be 6 & 3 (almost 4) at the time. We're also considering Disney magic which we've already done.

Couple of questions for the group:

- will there be enough to do outside of the kids clubs for our kids? The water fountain area looks incredible

- are the shows OK for young kids?

- if anyone has done Disney, how does RCCL compare for kids this young?

We're looking a Category "F" large ocean view stateroom. The RCCL trip on 11/12 is about $600 less than a comparable cruise on the Magic.

I have been on DCL Magic with my kids as well as RCL. At the ages of your kids it is probably a toss up - advantages on both. Since you have been on Majic, why not go for RCL - just for something new. You won't be disappointed. While on Navigator of the Seas, there were 600 kids on board - so there is lots to do.

- are the shows OK for young kids?

NO, NO, and NO! :D I was 13 when I took my cruise and my parents didn't want me seeing some of the shows (i.e. Quest and Marriage Game).

Maybe some of the Broadway style shows would be appropriate, but I'm not sure if young children would like that. But, who knows? The Freedom might have something new aimed at a younger audience.

Welcome to the boards, and feel free to ask any other questions you have! :)

Depends upon how "into" Disney your kids are. A lot of the shows and other entertainment are rather Disney-centric - great if your kids like Disney, not so hot if they are into other characters.

Also, at the 2-4YO range some kids love the people costumed like characters; others are terrified (my DD started in the "terrified" group early on, and as soon as she figured out that they were not real she just got bored with them), Disney was nice, but in our case not worth the extra $$. My husband said it was kind of like Venice - he's really glad he went but doesn't feel the need to go back.

I could not hack Disney for that long! So we are sailing Mariner. There is plenty for a four year old and a 6 year old to do. Adventure Ocean gets rave reviews, higher than Disney, and with all the other things and in cabin babysitting, at a reasonable price no less, it is, to me, the way to go.

Shows. There are plenty of shows that are good for kids. Obviously some comedians and Quest are out but you would not want them there either. On a Voyager class ship there are a million things of interest.

We just finished our 7th cruise with Royal and have taken our daughter on all but one cruise with us. She started cruising days after her 1st B-day and is now 4 1/2 and very familiar with the program. What you need to know about your 3 year old is that if they are not fully potty trained then they cannot participate in the kids program on Royal. Otherwise the only problem you'll have is getting them to leave! The program runs all day with a 2 hour break for lunch and a 2 hour break for dinner, so you have a chance to go enjoy the shows on your own if you want. They also run the program while the ship is in port giving you an oppertunity to do whatever shore excursion you feel up to without worrying about what to do with the kids.

I've done both, did Disney when DD was 6 and then again at age 9. I loved the fact that they gave beepers to parents so they could reach you any time your child was in the club, big comfort factor. I also liked that everything was geared towards the kids, shows in the theater and movies on TV. If the kids are happy the parents are happy :) The cabins on Disney were just so much bigger and I liked the fact that you could have the cabins w/ toilet and sink in 1 and sink and shower in the other. I've also taken DD on RCI, 3 so far, 1 coming up next week and 1 booked for the summer. She is older and enjoys all the teens activities on RCI. She also is old enough to appreciate the shows in the theater. I don't think young kids would be interested in these shows. She also likes the movies they show on TV but most times they are not for very young children. I was really very happy with Disney and would look closely at exactly what is offered for younger kids on RCI besides the Club, and maybe that is enough. We liked being able to take her to shows and do family activities on board. I don't think RCI offers family activites for the younger kids.Don't get me wrong We love RCI and would find Disney a bit to boring now, but it was great for our needs until she reached this age.

Archived