Iguazu guide/driver

giraffelt

It is very easy to get around the area of the falls on your own by taxi or by local public bus, even to cross the border. The sights are pretty self-explanatory. The area is quite safe, including both Foz do Iguacu and Puerto Iguazu towns. Paths within both sides of the park are clearly marked. The start points of the boat rides under the falls from either side of the parl as well. The Bird Park near the entrance of the Brazilian park has clear signage. IMO no need for guide/driver to get around and little value in "added" information.

Do you hold a passport that requires a visa to enter Brazil? If so, apply early.

As mentioned, if you need a visa for Brazil, you need it even for a day trip.

We used Marcelo da Rocha. He has excellent English, knowledge of the birds and other wildlife, and is just a joy to spend a day with. We did the Argentine side on our own, but Marcelo took us to Brazil, dealt with customs for us, and we had a nice cheap lunch in town, too.

You can reach him at http://iguazufallstourguide.com/home/

Our application for Brazil Visa is in the works. We also need an Argentina receipt, not a visa technically but another fee that needs to be paid in advance. Its done on-line so its straight forward.

Its the getting back forth from the Argentinian side to the Brazilian side that I thought pre-arranging something might be better. Especially since we will be there over Christmas and taxis might be hard to find. Also, on other trips I have found that a knowledgeable guide does add to the overall experience. I will check out the referenced guide.

#4 Yesterday, 11:34 AM

giraffelt

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Oct 2008

Default post title: Iguana

You won't find many iguanas at Iguacu, with or without a guide. :-) Butterflies, yes. Coati mundi, yes. Parrots, yes.

If you can manage customs/passport control at any international airport, you can do the same at the Brazil/Argentina border. It's not any more . Go to the booth and show your visa for Brazil and get your passport stamped. Make sure you have your receipt for the Argentine reciprocity fee to show on the way back.

The Brazil side is a couple of hours walk along a paved path. You will see coatis for sure, other birds and animals, doubtful. The experience of standing next to the tons of water falling or being out in the middle of the river is not likely to be enhanced by having someone point the way.

I'm sure you can find a good lunch place on your own.

Its the getting back forth from the Argentinian side to the Brazilian side that I thought pre-arranging something might be better. Especially since we will be there over Christmas and taxis might be hard to find.

The local public bus is also an option that many visitors take advantage of, perhaps even as a "last resort" to get to the park if all the taxis in the entire three country region are taken by international visitors at the very moment you want one. (Brazilians generally stay home with family for Christmas so don't expect domestic crowds.) The falls area is pretty safe from crime, unlike the major cities, if that is a worry.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Iguana - I blame auto correct for that faux pas.

Most posters have indicated that a guide isn't necessary and I do believe that to be the case. But we have decided to hire a guide for 1 of our days, for in our experience to other parts of the world, we have found that a good guide can really enhance the experience.

Tanner - we have been in touch with Marcelo and will hire him. thanks for the connection.

Appreciate all the responses.

Giraffelt, let us know what you thought of Marcelo after your trip. We truly enjoyed our day with him, and found him one of the nicest guides we've ever hired.

As for the rest of the posts, I will say that I felt for the OP here. A simple "any guides?" question turned into a torrent of DIY posts, some suggesting not so subtly that anyone who chose to hire a guide lacks something.

As the OP so tactfully put it, many of us do DIY often, but at times a guide does actually enhance your experience. We felt our day with Marcelo was one of those. I hope the OP agrees. We were with him in January of 2014.

Nanner (not Tanner:))

Edited by Nanner

@nanner

Often posters here do not have much advance knowledge of the locations they post about. Also many people have read scary stories about Brazil which make them uneasy in anticipation, even about tranquil areas such as the falls. Sorry if I came across to you as unsubtle, but there is a distinction, and not everyone has unlimited money to spend; most make choices between spending here or spending there. A good guide can add so much to certain destinations in Brazil such as Rio, a good value for money. However, at simple, safe destinations such at the falls, it is not a necessity, simply a convenience, or for peace of mind. Posters should have the info to make an informed choice.

• 1 month later...

Nanner

Reporting back as requested. We spent three days in Iguazu one of which was with Marcelo. We were verry glad to have him as our guide for our day on the Brizilian side. He is so knowledgeable about the whole area. Geography,history, flora, fauna, bird and animal life. It enhanced our trip immeasureably. Plus his philosophy on life was very uplifting. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

Edited by giraffelt

• 2 weeks later...

We will be staying in Buenos Aires (BA) next year in anticipation of a cruise around the cape. My husband and I wanted to visit the Falls. Can anyone share their experiences with getting to the Falls from BA. Prefer not to travel by plane. Would appreciate any feedback. :)

Plane is the only convenient way to make that trip. The alternative is a tedious 18 hour one way bus trip through scenery that does not particularly make it worthwhile, and at a fare, ditto. The falls are well worth seeing, though.