Costa Maya beach - Looking good Nov 3 pictures inside

mousecrazy

After reading a few reviews about the terrible conditions at Costa Maya, I emailed Steve at Tropicante and he replied promptly with two photos taken earlier today:

Nov_3_2.JPG

Nov_3_1.JPG

Here's what he had to say about last Thursday's terrible conditions:

I think perhaps what is beings said is related to what I mentioned in the note about the styrofoam last week. Kind of a perfect storm thing actually. We had two days last week were we got huge and un-explainable amounts of that and plastic bottles. We always get small amounts of that from ocean currents that come from all over North America, but not like that. We have since come to learn that the container ship that sank in the Bahamas, the El Faro, was most likely the source because they hauled trash from the Bahamas. There were no warnings about the water but there were people who would not get in at one point on Thursday afternoon. I wouldn't it looked so bad. Thursday morning the water looked fine but it happened fast in the afternoon.

As I said, we always get sea grass, but not like what were getting in the summer, and it has been back to a normal amount the last month. Normal is a small amount each day and a day or two, here and there with double that. It just so happened Thursday afternoon, several patches floated in and those tend to be catch-alls for trash in the ocean anyway, and that brought it all in that day. Our normally clear blue water, was more green a few days last week at the same time, and that really made it bad that day. That was another issue un-related to the trash. The remote areas had huge build-ups of grass over the last year. In town where we are, we managed it somewhat, and don't have that silty left-over like remote beaches here. Some days ocean currents will flow some into downtown and discolor the water from the remote silt. Most days that doesn't happen, and when it does, it is not even noticeable because the water is still clear, just a little green. But when that happens mixed with a huge influx of garbage mixed with sea grass, it really is noticeable and looks bad. I think what is being said, is the result of that, and Thursday afternoon, it was really bad. I've never in my 8 years here seen the downtown water look like that. The fall-out from that 14 months of sea grass infestation continue to surprise us, but at least the heavy amounts we were dealing with have stopped. My guess is water will be like it is almost every day here, beautiful, but you never know these days.

There are also a few spots, even in the downtown, where no business is operating, so there is still some trash on those areas, but they are small. The guy next door is closed and his beach still has the little pieces of ground up Styrofoam but we pick up the plastic at least. Each day, the Styrofoam gets a little more picked up, so if we don't get another shot, it will also be gone in a few more days.

Thanks so much for posting this. Amazing, I live on a beach and can only imagine what it'd be like to have garbage coming onto our shores, let alone the stench of sea grass in the heat for any length of time, yikes! Steve's gotta be a really nice guy to respond with pics and explanation of what's been happening. I've never meet him or been to his place, maybe I should next time

I have a date with Tropicante in Jan. and can't wait! Those pictures are wonderful. So generous of you to post and for Steve to answer. He seems to have a gift for not getting defensive and just telling it like it is.

I visited Tropicante in June 2014 and I can't seem to find the website, again. Could you send me the website or Steve's email address? I loved it there and Steve was so nice...don't want to miss it in December. Thank you. Marie

I have a date with Tropicante in Jan. and can't wait! Those pictures are wonderful. So generous of you to post and for Steve to answer. He seems to have a gift for not getting defensive and just telling it like it is.

I was just in Mahahual the week of 10/31/2015 on the CCL Valor and 6 of us had reservations for 6 chaise lounges/tables and umbrellas at Tropicante. The beach was pretty clear of seaweed - much like the picture in earlier post and further south of Tropicante there was some seaweed/trash but it was not bad. The water was great/ the breakfast burritos (We asked as not on menu) made with chorizo were amazing (BTW $7 and had egg, cheese, potato and side of guacamole and salsa). Never had a beer at 9am before until here. It was a great day! They had massage tables and offshore snorkeling along with banana boat rides right at the water's edge. Steve was a perfect host and a former Texan and we had some great discussions.

• 5 weeks later...