Double Rewards from Discover

AFT_LOVER

Just got an email from DiscoverCard.com advertising double rewards ($25 cashback gets $50 on RCCL or Celebrity as well as Carnival, HAL & Princess).

Has anyone turned theirs in for it? Is it money off cruise price or onboard credit?

We got it for our Sams Club membership, but no the Same Discover since it really isn't Discover. So their $.20 off a gal price this week for gas was a perk alone. Then members get an additional nickel off. So the cashback will pile up & I love any way to get money back from RCCL or Celebrity............

I receive these emails from Discover also. From what I understand, you have to book a cruise using the online travel agent they want you to and these are for credits to be used on the price of the cruise. Sounds like a great idea, but I don't like using online travel agents that I know nothing about. And if I remember correctly, there is a limit of your reward you can use to be doubled. You can only use a certain amount of your reward, for a total of around $150.00 off cruise. Right now, I have a $400.00+ reward with Discover, but I can't double that for $800.00+ off a cruise. If I could, I might take the chance with the online travel agency I know nothing about. And since it has taken me a long time to build my reward to $400.00 with Discover, I have now just received my Royal Caribbean MBNA card that I will be using from now on. Builds up more points for money towards cruises faster than rewards with Discover.

Before cashing the money in, I'd recommend calling the agency you would have to use & get a quote for exactly what you want, then compare it with other agencies. We did exactly that for our last cruise & they were higher than the local agency we normally use. Using our Discover credits would still have had the price higher. If they do have the better deal, see if you can book it & then request the credits. They do have a limit on what you can cash in, but I don't remember what the limit was.

I called Discover to let them know that we would be out of the country and not to cancel our card if they saw unusual activity. At that time, I asked them about the double reward promotion with RCCL. As stated above, it is only good toward the purchase of the cruise through their TA. You can not receive a voucher to be used toward drinks/merchandise on board. Too Bad!!

There double cashback does work. Yes, you have to use their online TA, but I checked and rechecked prices and they were by far the best, plus we got to use the $40 and double it to $80 off the price of the cruise for our inside stateroom. If at first the price seems higher, make sure that you are checking taxes and port fees, the TA includes allof those charges in their quoted fair. I thought it was a great deal. I booked and unbooked and rebooked this cruise several times and the Discover points ended up being a great deal for us. Good luck!

and they stated TOURAID is the magic word for refund. When I asked what that was they told me to phone Celebrity & use that word for information since that is the deal with them & Discover. Same with RCCL. So I did & was told it is a TA they deal with for credit card promos. I asked why VISA doesn't need them? I told them I just want the certificate to mail into them to apply to my cruise. They stated the rules are on the reverse side.

So forget that one............ My TA is a goddess, takes care of everything for me from bad weather alerts to emails onboard when she hears something not right. I have used many others who can't spell our names right even off the credit card they had to get a copy of.

I have used a discover cashback bonus cert to book a carnival cruise. Indeed you must use "touraide Cruise and vacation desk" travel agency.

You can only book the cruise with touraid or the cruise line directly. If you book with the cruise line (on the boat, by phone or online) call touraid and give them your booking number. They will do what's called "a friendly take over" of the reservation. Then, prior to your final payment due date, send in the cert from discover card. they will subtract the certificate amount from your final payment. If you book your next cruise while on the boat, you will benefit from the low price and cabin upgrades. Once home, have touraid take over the reservation and send in your cert......you'll certainly get a good deal.

Archived