Westerdam Review - Oct. 31 7-day East: From the Corner Aft Suite 5190

zackiedawg

That was unique in one way for me - I've been onboard ships with all kinds of emergencies - fires, engine failures, rogue waves, microbursts, etc...and have heard plenty of code bravo, code alpha, etc calls. This was the first time for a smaller fire incident that they used the first stage of the ship's general alarm bells that I've ever heard. It was definitely a little more attention getting than the usual 'code bravo' calls that indicate fires in crew areas...and the captain was good enough to immediately get on the PA to tell passengers what was going on. It was still a bit surprising the main alarm first stage was used...maybe because of more recent ship incidents that have them a little more cautious (on Radiance of the Seas in 09, there was a 'code bravo' call and visible smoke coming from the lido kitchen area and on the deck above - they still never blew the main alarms - just the bravo calls to the crew which many passengers don't even know is a problem so doesn't cause as much worry.

I was reading on my veranda, and didn't bother to stop reading - I figured I'd see smoke trailing off the back of the ship if it was something bad!

Thank you! Those deep tunnels were a bit claustrophobic and very very dark - and I don't even suffer from claustrophobia. Hard to show how dark and dank they are in a photograph - those that know camera settings might appreciate that I needed ISO12,800 to get those shots. Worth exploring though - when you're in those deepest parts of the old forts that's where you really get a sense of what it would have been like back when they were built.

• 2 months later...