Guess who just had a visit from the Upsell fairy?????

AZ ParrotHead

The OP's original post sounded as if there was an upsell call. It now appears the OP just called and paid for an upgrade. There is an upsell department that does not encourage calls and as soon as enough people call, it will be shut down. If you want to upgrade, just call the regular number, they will give you a price and you can take it or refuse.

In this case the upsell fairy did not call anyone. If anyone doubts this, just get everyone on here with an upcoming cruise call the number listed and see what happens next! They've shut it down to incoming calls in the past for this reason and will do it again.

The OP's original post sounded as if there was an upsell call. It now appears the OP just called and paid for an upgrade. There is an upsell department that does not encourage calls and as soon as enough people call, it will be shut down. If you want to upgrade, just call the regular number, they will give you a price and you can take it or refuse.

In this case the upsell fairy did not call anyone. If anyone doubts this, just get everyone on here with an upcoming cruise call the number listed and see what happens next! They've shut it down to incoming calls in the past for this reason and will do it again.

Well I will certainly give it a try when my cruise gets close. What have I got to lose? :)

I agree with you that if there is an official Upsell Dept, they do not appreciate their phone number being given out to thousands of cruisers so that they can be inundated with calls. And in all likelyhood, as you said, that number will soon change or be met with a recorded message.

We have never called any secret special upsell department number in the past to inquire about upsells. We called the regular NCL number and have been offered low price upsells close to sail date, as did AZ ParrotHead recently. And there is a big difference in up selling yourself at prevailing rates months before the cruise and being offered a chance to go from MiniSuite to Haven for a huge discount <30 days before sail date, as was AZ's experience.

It is that later experience which the other thread in question had indicated was a thing of the past inside 30 days based on this supposed "new policy". That thread states that even calling the regular NCL number within 30 days of sailing and asking is no longer to be allowed based on new NCL policy. But that does not seem to jibe with recent experience. Just trying to figure out if this policy change actually exists.

Edited by punkincc

To be clear I called the upsell department and was specifically told that the offer I received was only available through their group-not General Reservations

Also, so what if they shut it down in the future? Today, it's an opportunity to enhance your cruise if you put in a little leg work. I don't have an issue with that and I hope others on this board can take advantage as well.

To be clear I called the upsell department and was specifically told that the offer I received was only available through their group-not General Reservations

Also, so what if they shut it down in the future? Today, it's an opportunity to enhance your cruise if you put in a little leg work. I don't have an issue with that and I hope others on this board can take advantage as well.

I agree. If it goes away, it goes away. Why not use it while it is there. If it leads to more customer satisfaction, that is a benefit for NCL.

Edited by Tinknock50

I agree. If it goes away, it goes away. Why not use it while it is there. If it leads to more customer satisfaction, that is a benefit for NCL.

I do not begrudge anyone's good fortune in being able to get a nice deal on an upgrade to a cabin they perhaps could not afford at the time they booked due to recent price drops. I have done it myself in the past.

But, the fact that NCL is recently telling people who call customer service that NO upgrades/upsells are possible inside 30 days, while others are calling a special department who does not make their number available to the general public and are meeting with success does not lead to MORE customer safisfation for ME.

But it sounds like not everyone who are making calls and meeting with success are calling the special number, so who knows whether there has actually been any policy change with NCL despite what the two callers who spoke with NCL were told about new policy ( maybe erroneously, it is not the first time ) or misunderstood what they were told.

Other people will report experience as time goes on.

I do not begrudge anyone's good fortune in being able to get a nice deal on an upgrade to a cabin they perhaps could not afford at the time they booked due to recent price drops. I have done it myself in the past.

But, the fact that NCL is recently telling people who call customer service that NO upgrades/upsells are possible inside 30 days, while others are calling a special department who does not make their number available to the general public and are meeting with success does not lead to MORE customer safisfation for ME.

But it sounds like not everyone who are making calls and meeting with success are calling the special number, so who knows whether there has actually been any policy change with NCL despite what the two callers who spoke with NCL were told about new policy ( maybe erroneously, it is not the first time ) or misunderstood what they were told.

Other people will report experience as time goes on.

My experience with many cruise lines is that hardly anything is truly set in stone. Amazing how you will get different answers from them depending on who you ask, for example.

I just follow that maxim to do your best to get the best cruise experience possible. I will give anything a try to do that.

Just wanted to add....

I have been calling the Upsell Dept for a couple of weeks now on my upcoming 11/28/15 Escape Sailing. 2 weeks ago a lady in their department told me that while there were no offers available yet, she could offer me $600.00 ($300/pp for the first 2 guests) to go from a Guaranteed Inside to a Mid-Ship Balcony. When I booked, I was happy to just be on the ship so inside was fine. But I figured that if I could get an upgrade/upsell for a reasonable price, I would go for it. I declined the $600.00 offer but have tried a few times since then, and they have told me they still have no offers for that sailing. Yesterday I called again and the same lady said that they did not have any offers for that sailing and did not foresee any offers BUT that she could offer me $400.00 to upgrade to a mid-ship balcony. That was my price point and I took it! =)

My impression with this department was very nice. I have spoken to several people in this department, and NEVER was treated like I was bothering anyone by simply asking if they had any offers/availability for an upgrade. If your willing to call and be a little persistent, and wait a few days before sailing, they might still have availability...

Good Luck!!

Just wanted to add....

I have been calling the Upsell Dept for a couple of weeks now on my upcoming 11/28/15 Escape Sailing. 2 weeks ago a lady in their department told me that while there were no offers available yet, she could offer me $600.00 ($300/pp for the first 2 guests) to go from a Guaranteed Inside to a Mid-Ship Balcony. When I booked, I was happy to just be on the ship so inside was fine. But I figured that if I could get an upgrade/upsell for a reasonable price, I would go for it. I declined the $600.00 offer but have tried a few times since then, and they have told me they still have no offers for that sailing. Yesterday I called again and the same lady said that they did not have any offers for that sailing and did not foresee any offers BUT that she could offer me $400.00 to upgrade to a mid-ship balcony. That was my price point and I took it! =)

My impression with this department was very nice. I have spoken to several people in this department, and NEVER was treated like I was bothering anyone by simply asking if they had any offers/availability for an upgrade. If your willing to call and be a little persistent, and wait a few days before sailing, they might still have availability...

Good Luck!!

Congrats on your great upsell. I will have to look into this when my cruise gets closer.

Just wanted to add....

Good Luck!!

Congratulations! I agree--everyone I spoke to when was very nice and knew the ropes. Seems to me these are experienced sales agents who are empowered to fill the cabins.

My experience with many cruise lines is that hardly anything is truly set in stone. Amazing how you will get different answers from them depending on who you ask, for example.

I just follow that maxim to do your best to get the best cruise experience possible. I will give anything a try to do that.

You wouldn't believe the savings I just got from my wireless provider for nicely reminding them how long I've been a customer. How many lines I have. How much I pay them each month and how awful I was once treated by one of their 3 rd party phone centers

I was also very pleasant. That helps.

Just wanted to add....

Good Luck!!

So you went from inside cabin to midship balcony and you were offered $400 to upgrade? Do you mean OBC? Cause if so this is a new twist I have not seen.

did you upgrade for $0 plus OBC, or did you pay $xx to upgrade but got additional OBC? Sorry to be so dense.:)

So you went from inside cabin to midship balcony and you were offered $400 to upgrade? Do you mean OBC? Cause if so this is a new twist I have not seen.

did you upgrade for $0 plus OBC, or did you pay $xx to upgrade but got additional OBC? Sorry to be so dense.:)

I read it as it COST 400 to upgrade--a good deal!

We did! Just scored TWO H6 aft facing penthouse balconies for the 11/29 sailing of Getaway. Talked them down from 750 to 500 per person for the upgrade. Our total cost per passenger is 1549 in the suite. The H6s were retailing for 4600 pp all year! What a deal!!!!

Doing the SUITE doc dance!!!

I have called s few times and get different prices, still lots of suites available so Ihave fingers crossed that something will shake out. Thanks for inspiring me to try, if I get what you were offered I would jump.

As a side note, I did get an upswell offer email too. But at 750 pp and then one agent told me 1200 pp even though the email said differently. We will stay where we are and be happy, but may check one more time.

Thx😊