Cozumel snorkeling excursion suggestions

teachswim

What's the best way to snorkel the reefs off of Cozumel? Favorite boat operators for snorkeling? Book from cruise ship or outside? I booked directly with the operator several years ago to swim with the dolphins because the ship didn't offer the age range we needed. Sailing in Feb. 2016

• 2 weeks later...

there are a couple of independent companies that book snorkeling boats, go with one of them. The reefs are generally not close to shore, so to see pretty coral and tons of fish, you need to be snorkeling from a boat.

Best shallow areas for snorkeling are Paradise reef (very close to Puerto Maya cruise ship dock), and then farther down south to Palancar shallows and Columbia shallows. Some of the snorkeling boats stop at the reef just off Money Bar, which you can actually snorkel from shore... the snorkeling there is very shallow, less than 10' but not spectacular.. it is just so close to the cruise ship docks and town that it is cheap to stop there (less gas and time). Try to book a snorkeling boat that promises to take you OUT to one of the better reefs, like Palancar and Columbia. They are longer distance, so more gas and more $$ to get there.... but you will not be disappointed.

• 1 month later...

We took a jeep tour which included snorkeling. We drove to a national park (near a lighthouse), and snorkeled off the beach. It was one of the best snorkeling experiences I have had. Great reef and lots of fish etc. We were the only ones in the area, less then six people and the guide. I booked the trip online (not through the cruise line). You should be able to locate the trip through a search. It is self driving with a guide leading the way. You go to a lot of neat areas and really get to see the Island, away from the crowds.

We took a jeep tour which included snorkeling. We drove to a national park (near a lighthouse), and snorkeled off the beach. It was one of the best snorkeling experiences I have had. Great reef and lots of fish etc. We were the only ones in the area, less then six people and the guide. I booked the trip online (not through the cruise line). You should be able to locate the trip through a search. It is self driving with a guide leading the way. You go to a lot of neat areas and really get to see the Island, away from the crowds.

A few years back we did a truck trip that showed ud the island, rock formation, light house and BBQ at Punta Sur, did some drift snorkeling and it was nice, not like Roatan bus decent, Saw various fish including a nice French Angel.

The Up

John