Catch me up!

tasmith09

After 4 Carnival cruises between 2010 and Jan 2014, we have taken a little break, but now that our souvenir from our last cruise is over a year old, we are prepared to book cruise #5 for Jan 2017.

I haven't been on these boards for the last two years, and have no idea what changes Carnival has made since our last cruise, so catch me up! Dining, entertainment, boarding processes, internet packages, etc. I've spent the last few hours reading the most recent threads but I feel a little lost.

If it makes any difference, we are planning to book the Sunshine out of Orlando for an 8-day Eastern route.

I admit, I did seriously consider booking a different line this time around, mainly because the entertainment on out Jan14 cruise was so disappointing, but I couldn't justify spending almost $1k more for essentially the same itinerary. Please tell me I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, this will be our first trip with a child. She'll be just over 2 at the time of cruising.

Dining and entertainment should be as you remember. Carnival is rolling out new staggered embarkation process in Galveston and New Orleans.

You are given a boarding time that is strictly adhered to. Not sure when this process will be fleet wide.

You can no longer bring bottled water on board, but they have lowered the prices in the Bon voyage shop.

A couple years of changes may be hard to try to remember them all, though hopefully with everyone here we can come up with most of them.

Carnival is in the process of changing menus--so some ships have the old menus and some have American Table/American Feast. I've yet to sail on a ship with the American Table so I can't say how it is.

Were the 2.0 upgrades around when you last sailed? I can't remember when they came about.

Just in the past year since the last time we sailed in February, there have been changes to the water policy and you pick up any alcohol you purchased during the trip the morning of debarkation instead of having it delivered the last night.

Lobster is only available on cruises longer than 6 days.

The free-to-use Carnival Hub app is rolling out to more ships and should be fleet-wide by 2017. This will contain things like the Fun Times schedule and your electronic account information, as well as offer a chat feature for $5/phone to keep in touch with others in your group.

"Past guest party" is only available to platinum and diamond guests now, not gold, so you need 75 days at sea to be invited versus the old 25 days at sea. I believe the free drink coupon is only for the last night of the cruise now.

While not in place right now, by the time you sail, you may need to choose a staggered check-in time for your cruise (if this is important to you, try to make your payment early so you can check in as soon as it's an option so you can pick the time you want to check-in at).

I remember reading something about cheaper and more reliable internet services on board the ship, but since my cell phone plane includes free international data, I wouldn't get this anyway...as long as I'm in a country that is part of the plan (and most of them are), I can check my emails, facebook, etc. on port days.

Gratuities have increased to $12 per person per day.

Each past guest will receive a 1 liter bottle of free water in their cabin. Gold will receive a coupon for a free drink good on the last night of the cruise. Plats/diamonds will get invite to past guest party.

You are still allowed to bring 12 non-alcoholic beverages on when embarking but they must be in cans. No bottles are allowed at all. Water is reasonable to order from bon voyage at $2.99 for a 12 pack. The 750 ml bottle of wine per person is also still allowed.

Funship Freddy retired and is being replaced with Dr. Suess characters. Some ships have updated the children's' programs to "Camp Ocean" vs. Camp Carnival.

Thanks, this helps. Was not aware of the new carry-on drink policy or the increased gratuities.

We have cruised since the 2.0 upgrades. We're actually cruising on the Sunshine again for the second time in a row (just with a 3 year gap).

We have used FTTF and will again if possible.

I had heard rumors about the new American Table dining. I'm curious as to how that will change our dining experience.

I'm not sure how to feel about the new App concept.. It sounds useful.. but I've always enjoyed the device-free aspect of cruising that we have always enjoyed.