Access to Cabanas in Coco Cay

TexasRices

We are considering renting a cabana in Coco Cay, but I'm concerned about accessibility issues.

I know from prior experience that many parts of the island have a hard pack or paved surface (market, food, restrooms, etc.), so I will be taking my scooter and I'm hoping to snag one of the beach wheelchairs when I arrive on the island.

My main concerns are:

Access to the cabanas - soft sand or hard pack?

Access to the beach - soft sand, hard pack or rocky? And approx. distance.

I am aware that we may not be able to board the tender, depending on various safety issues. I have also confirmed with RCI that the tender has roll-on capability, so there's no need to address those issues here. But any other helpful hints would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Trish

We are considering renting a cabana in Coco Cay, but I'm concerned about accessibility issues.

I know from prior experience that many parts of the island have a hard pack or paved surface (market, food, restrooms, etc.), so I will be taking my scooter and I'm hoping to snag one of the beach wheelchairs when I arrive on the island.

My main concerns are:

Access to the cabanas - soft sand or hard pack?

Access to the beach - soft sand, hard pack or rocky? And approx. distance.

I am aware that we may not be able to board the tender, depending on various safety issues. I have also confirmed with RCI that the tender has roll-on capability, so there's no need to address those issues here. But any other helpful hints would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Trish

HI! Last year (Dec)when we were there the sand around the Cabanas iwas soft pack. I would imagine the same now....We use a Beach Wheelchair for my son. THe Cabanas are near the snorkel beach...it is fluffy sand but closer to the beach is more packed. Hope that helps! Ive tried to attach a photo .....hopefully it can give you an idea.

Edited by Blueyes10

HI! Last year (Dec)when we were there the sand around the Cabanas iwas soft pack. I would imagine the same now....We use a Beach Wheelchair for my son. THe Cabanas are near the snorkel beach...it is fluffy sand but closer to the beach is more packed. Hope that helps! Ive tried to attach a photo .....hopefully it can give you an idea.

photo upload is failing....but it just shows the fluffy sand around the cabanas.....sorry

photo upload is failing....but it just shows the fluffy sand around the cabanas.....sorry

I appreciate the info Blueyes! Thanks for trying to upload the photo. Were the cabanas very far from where you got the beach wheelchair? Or is it mostly paved leading up to the cabanas?

I appreciate the info Blueyes! Thanks for trying to upload the photo. Were the cabanas very far from where you got the beach wheelchair? Or is it mostly paved leading up to the cabanas?

The beach wheelchairs are located in the area directly as you exit the tender which is quite a bit away from the cabanas. The beach wheelchairs are provided on a first come first served basis. In addition depending on the number of ships there the same day as well as the demand you may not be able to have access all day to the beach wheelchair. The ships crew may have to transport and drop you off at the cabana. Typically you would be required to leave the scooter with security at the tender area and than transfer to beach wheelchair.

You are welcome. I just wish the photo would have loaded. The Cabanas are not right at the dock where you get the beach wheelchairs. It is around the corner...As you are pulling into coco cay on the tender you can see the cabanas just to the left of the dock. It looks closer than it is...it is a little winding to get there...but it is not horribly far. It is not paved though from what I remember. I also remember thinking as I pushed the chair ...all our bags and my son trying to fall out of the chair that it was challenging ...but once we got to the cabana it is so beautiful...so relaxing....it is so worth it. would do it all over again!

Thank you both so much!

I found a map of CoCo Cay, and thanks to Blueyes10's directions I quickly located the Island Oasis Cabana area. It definitely looks a lot easier to get to than the Cabanettes on Barefoot Beach!

I checked all of the sailings for Royal, Celebrity, and Azmara, and the Freedom is the only ship I found scheduled that day!!! I worry about the logistics of getting to the beach and restrooms, because if they take the chair away I'll be stuck like a beached whale!

I can't wait to pamper my husband (and myself) in a beautiful cabana by the sea. :)

Thank you both so much!

I found a map of CoCo Cay, and thanks to Blueyes10's directions I quickly located the Island Oasis Cabana area. It definitely looks a lot easier to get to than the Cabanettes on Barefoot Beach!

I checked all of the sailings for Royal, Celebrity, and Azmara, and the Freedom is the only ship I found scheduled that day!!! I worry about the logistics of getting to the beach and restrooms, because if they take the chair away I'll be stuck like a beached whale!

I can't wait to pamper my husband (and myself) in a beautiful cabana by the sea. :)

We have been to Coco Cay several times...needed the beach chair about 4 times....and have never had it taken away. Also there are restrooms for cabana guests right near the entrance of the cabanas so that is super easy!

We have been to Coco Cay several times...needed the beach chair about 4 times....and have never had it taken away. Also there are restrooms for cabana guests right near the entrance of the cabanas so that is super easy!

That's a relief! I can only take a few steps (assisted) without my scooter - and only 10-15 ft at a time with my walker (which we are bringing for use in the cabin). Thank you Blueyes, you're an absolute angel!!! I'm traveling with my hubby and two of our cousins, and I don't want to put a damper on anyone's trip with my issues. My anxiety just went down about ten notches. ;)

That's a relief! I can only take a few steps (assisted) without my scooter - and only 10-15 ft at a time with my walker (which we are bringing for use in the cabin). Thank you Blueyes, you're an absolute angel!!! I'm traveling with my hubby and two of our cousins, and I don't want to put a damper on anyone's trip with my issues. My anxiety just went down about ten notches. ;)

AWW your are welcome!

When you reserve your cabana let them know you want one near the entry to the Cabanas...nearest the food set up (its a special buffet for the cabana guests) this way you will not have to walk as far to the bathroom or for the food. When we booked I didnt know I could request a certain one...so I chose from what they had available apon arrival to coco cay....let them know your situation...im sure they will work with you...Royal is amazing! Have agreat trip!!!!!

Ill be in Coco Cay New Years Day....Ill let you know if anything has changed from my last trip!

AWW your are welcome!

When you reserve your cabana let them know you want one near the entry to the Cabanas...nearest the food set up (its a special buffet for the cabana guests) this way you will not have to walk as far to the bathroom or for the food. When we booked I didnt know I could request a certain one...so I chose from what they had available apon arrival to coco cay....let them know your situation...im sure they will work with you...Royal is amazing! Have agreat trip!!!!!

Ill be in Coco Cay New Years Day....Ill let you know if anything has changed from my last trip!

Thank you Blueyes! :D

• 4 weeks later...