South Pacific islands accessibility

Picton

Hello. My wife has MS and is confined to her (manual) wheelchair full time. We are sailing on the Westerdam to Hawaii and the South Pacific early April and there are quite a few tender stops. The Westerdam has roll-on tender capability but we're not sure what to expect in terms of general accessibility on the islands themselves (pathways, roads, cafes, bars etc). The TR stops are Rarotonga, Bora Bora, Moorea, and Taiohae. Anyone with specific wheelchair experience of any of these islands? Any advice? Cheers, Rob.

<<Happy New Year>>

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so long with even a partial reply, but we just got off cruise in Papeete, which included Bora Bora and Moorea. It was on Oceania Marina, though I have also been to both on Celebrity Solstice. The village at the close tender port at Bora Bora is immediately accessible and has a grocery store, besides gift shops and kiosks at the tender pier. There are also tours offered by locals there so you can see if their vehicle would suit your needs. Tendering is usually smooth on both and I found the road surface on Bora Bora fairly easy to navigate.

I have no first hand knowledge of the others but you might also post on the ports of call section. There is also someone posting now on the Oceania Insignia world cruise who's wife uses a wheelchair and they may be going to some of these ports also. Have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Going Coastal

We are going on Solstice shortly and my wife is in a WCHR full time because of MS and I was wondering how u went tendering in Bora & Moorea on Solstice

Edited by dmccue

We spent 63 days on Solstice this time in 2013. As you surely know, the ship itself is practically effortless with some of the best public accessible restrooms afloat which she will appreciate with a wheelchair if she can transfer at all.

As to tendering, those two islands are ideal because the water in the lagoons of both are usually dead calm.

If your DW can transfer there should me no trouble lifting her and the chair separately. This is strictly up to the staff however and It always helps to start a dialogue with them as soon as possible to be prepared.

Back then there was not much at the Moorea tender port except a bus and van pick up point.

At Bora Bora there is an actual little village with some shopping, refreshments, and even a grocery store this year.

These two are so beautiful that even if she stays on the ship it is a wonderfully meditative place to be. Something beautiful to look at in every direction.

Have a wonderful trip and please come back and let us know how it goes

GC

No, they do not. However if the number of crew who fit safely on the tender platform can lift you and the mobility device separately, they will assist in every way possible. Safely is the operative word. dmccue will be onboard for several port stops before these and will have time to get to know the security crew and they will have helped him and his wife disembark at the gangway stops before.

If the equipment is too heavy they may recommend tendering in a more lightweight manual wheelchair, which would work in the village on Bora Bora or in Lahaina on Maui.

No, they do not. However if the number of crew who fit safely on the tender platform can lift you and the mobility device separately, they will assist in every way possible. Safely is the operative word. dmccue will be onboard for several port stops before these and will have time to get to know the security crew and they will have helped him and his wife disembark at the gangway stops before.

If the equipment is too heavy they may recommend tendering in a more lightweight manual wheelchair, which would work in the village on Bora Bora or in Lahaina on Maui.

The following was copied directly from Celebrity's website which clearly states that the crew is not permitted to lift and carry guests. Also that motorized wheelchairs and mobiility scooter cannot be taken on tenders, unless roll-on capabilities are available.

"On Solstice class ships there is an accessible route to the tender platform. Currently, on Millennium class ships, there are exterior stairs with 10 steps to the tender platform.
While our staff will provide limited assistance, they are not permitted to lift and carry guests. Motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders, unless roll-on capability is available. For more details or questions
, please: call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice) or (954) 628-9708 (local voice); fax (954) 628-9622; send an e-mail to
; or - on board the vessel - feel free to ask our Guest Relations Staff for a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO)."

Thanks for the responses.

As going coastal said we have a quite number of days on board before we are going to try for Moorea and whilst at Bay of Islands NZ (tender port) I will go down and see how they do the tender and ask some questions. Last time we did not even bother trying but this time I am a bit more willing to try and we have a special lifting sling that has great handles to lift her and we are travelling with friends this time so I have plenty of help.

Sling is http://www.promove.uk.com/promove-slings-disabled-individuals/

and she has a lightweight foldable wheelchair so as long as we can lift her into the tender and el capitano will let us do it and its not rough then I reckon we could make it.(fingers crossed :))

I'm grateful for the responses, 'cos I have a similar question running about South Sea islands. and also for the suggestion of which other threads to look at - it's all most useful.

In return I can confirm that Solstice is pretty much a doddle in a wheelchair or on crutches. Spaces are wide and accessible, corridors seem wider than on some other lines (maybe just an impression rather than a fact) and importantly, they do not seem to get so blocked up with room service trays and service trolleys. The tender platform is accessible by lift with only a couple of steps to negotiate and although tenders are not wheelchair accessible, they were more than happy for me to step on as last person, with my non-collapsible chair following me to fit in the walkway. I was first off at the other end and the shore side staff were very helpful.

I doubt that the crew would be willing to lift someone into a tender though. On the plus side, the excursions team were terrific with me and I got a half hour sit down with one of the staff who then went off to figure out the best things for me to do on shore. Among other things I ended up going dolphin watching on a boat that was suitable for mew to walk around while holding the handrail while my chair sat in a corner. Real first class service.

Thanks for the responses.

As going coastal said we have a quite number of days on board before we are going to try for Moorea and whilst at Bay of Islands NZ (tender port) I will go down and see how they do the tender and ask some questions. Last time we did not even bother trying but this time I am a bit more willing to try and we have a special lifting sling that has great handles to lift her and we are travelling with friends this time so I have plenty of help.

Sling is http://www.promove.uk.com/promove-slings-disabled-individuals/

and she has a lightweight foldable wheelchair so as long as we can lift her into the tender and el capitano will let us do it and its not rough then I reckon we could make it.(fingers crossed :))

It's clearly stated on Celebrity's website that crew is not permitted to lift and carry passengers so doubt having the sling lift will change that. The following had already been stated in post #10 of this thread and is clearly posted on Celebrity's website :

"On Solstice class ships there is an accessible route to the tender platform. Currently, on Millennium class ships, there are exterior stairs with 10 steps to the tender platform.
While our staff will provide limited assistance, they are not permitted to lift and carry guests.
Motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters cannot be taken on tenders, unless roll-on capability is available. For more details or questions, please: call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225 (voice) or (954) 628-9708 (local voice); fax (954) 628-9622; send an e-mail to
; or - on board the vessel - feel free to ask our Guest Relations Staff for a Complaint Resolution Official (CRO)."

By all means look at using a sling but as others have said, safety is the watchword and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they are unwilling to let a group of pax undertake such a maneuver.

Don't forget as well that tendering is where short tempers and impatience congregates, even walking a little slowly with sticks can get some folks tut-tutting like a re-run of Skippy the kangaroo. Friends and family slinging a normally wheelchair bound passenger would drive the malcontents absolutely crackers unless you are planning to be last off the ship and first back. I'm not trying to be negative here, just trying to temper expectations and I do hope it all works out.

I was thinking about the tendering problem when I was up at the play park with my granddaughter this morning and suddenly it came to me. I'm going to write to all the cruise lines and suggest they install a slide / chute for us. That way, anyone who can transfer from a chair can just slide down into the tender. Maybe it could even spiral down from three decks up to save all the hassle. I've not quite figured out how to get out of the tender at the other end yet, but I'm sure it will come to me over a glass of red. Maybe an ejector seat like in James Bond's DB5. ......... :rolleyes:

Edited by Chunky2219
typo