Has Vanuatu recovered after last year's devastation?

handp

Have any cruisers been on a cruise this summer which included Vanuatu? I was wondering if it was able to become the lovely port it was before and able to get back the tourist trade from the cruise ships. (Apologies if this has been asked before) Helen

Was just there on the Radiance for its Christmas cruise. For the most part they have recovered however there is still a fair bit of damaged buildings still standing, just cornered off, as well as some additional washed up boats added to the shores. Do note that when we were there the markets on the shore in town were gone.

Actually there was more unrelated construction going on then rebuilding.

We were there in 2011, and then last November. There seemed to be talk of damage from the cyclone, and some damage on a building or two, but I personally found it hard to tell the difference. They are not much into maintenance of their roads and buildings.

The road to Hideaway Island was the most disgraceful potholed goat track, but the driver also took us for a quick drive around a small village and the roads were quite good, as was the housing, albeit bessa bricks and corrugated tin.

So it would seem to me that sometimes in the public access areas they are keeping the appearance of damage to get sympathy. There is no need with the amount of cruise ships stopping there that they can't fix the basic infrastructure. They appear to be building a proper cruise terminal dock, as the local businesses are having trouble getting their containers out when cruise ships are there.

Just been to Noumea, Mystery Island and Lifou.

The wharf at mystery Island is partially repaired with concrete blocks making half of the pier more stable but more work is needed.

The wharf at Lifou is in good shape and they have put better steps at Jenek (sic) bay.

I didn't think Noumea had any damage from the cyclone but I didn't notice anything different anyway.:D

Have any cruisers been on a cruise this summer which included Vanuatu? I was wondering if it was able to become the lovely port it was before and able to get back the tourist trade from the cruise ships. (Apologies if this has been asked before) Helen

Hi Helen,

Yes the port is slowly getting itself back together. Schools are still a bit short of 'fun' supplies for the kids. If you are on a rollcall suggest everyone brings $10 of stuff from the dollar shops - crayons, coloured pencils, stickers ans other little supplies.

Hi Helen,

Yes the port is slowly getting itself back together. Schools are still a bit short of 'fun' supplies for the kids. If you are on a rollcall suggest everyone brings $10 of stuff from the dollar shops - crayons, coloured pencils, stickers ans other little supplies.

We left some books and pens at Mystery island in the drop box. Someone on the roll call had mentioned it.:D

Just returned (last Wednesday) after spending two weeks holidaying on Efate Island (Vila). Cruise ships in nearly every day. The local food markets are up and running with the first crops of fruit and veggies slowly increasing, although the locals say prices have tripled, one I spoke to said he could no longer afford to buy a mango. We found the supermarket prices very expensive maybe this is due to Govt taxes or the fact a Chinese gentleman owns all of the larger ones. Flora damage is still very evident around the north east of the island with Norfolk pines looking like telegraph poles dotted with green. Financially the Ni Vans are struggling and many are still out of work. This will only improve as tourists return. My husband and I took over 8kgs of colouring in books and pencils for the kindies. The people are so grateful for anything we can do. Please don't hesitate to go.

Just returned (last Wednesday) after spending two weeks holidaying on Efate Island (Vila). Cruise ships in nearly every day. The local food markets are up and running with the first crops of fruit and veggies slowly increasing, although the locals say prices have tripled, one I spoke to said he could no longer afford to buy a mango. We found the supermarket prices very expensive maybe this is due to Govt taxes or the fact a Chinese gentleman owns all of the larger ones. Flora damage is still very evident around the north east of the island with Norfolk pines looking like telegraph poles dotted with green. Financially the Ni Vans are struggling and many are still out of work. This will only improve as tourists return. My husband and I took over 8kgs of colouring in books and pencils for the kindies. The people are so grateful for anything we can do. Please don't hesitate to go.

Well done. They need a lot of everything that we find basic.