Excited first timers

Hello me and my husband are going on our first cruise on 6th March. We are going on thomson celebration on paradise islands.

We are very excited but a bit nervous as well. If is also our first long haul flight, we are going on the dream liner.

We have a few things we were unsure of which im hoping someone might be able to advise us on.

When we land in Barbados do we just go straight to security and then onto the thomson reps, When we get to the ship, I understand we have our photo taken and taken to our cabin, what happens then, what is the sail away party

Is there iron facilities

What is the food like on thomson celebration

Whats the chance of seasickness and has anybody got any good remedies, just in case.

If anyone has any more good advice for us first timers on a cruise and long haul flight we would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Remember the feeling well, we experienced our 1st cruise last year and we were on the Celebration.

First tip is to join the Celebration facebook group as well as being on here, brilliant advice and lots of questions asked and answered by your fellow travellers.

I found it useful to pack a dress/shorts and flip flops in hand luggage to change on arrival, even though luggage doesnt take long to arrive it means you are immediately ready to enjoy the sunshine.

Laundry room with self service washing, drying and ironing facilities available which was very busy but with patience I used several times.

I felt very slightly sea sick for the 1st 48 hours, light headed and woozy, a couple of drinks and I didnt notice.

Food was amazing! We couldnt fault a thing!

You will have an amazing time. We have booked again for next year, wish we could afford it this year but the excitement is all part of the holiday for me.

Edited by clio32
add comment

When you land in Barbados they will get you onto a shuttle bus on the tarmac and whisk you off to the ship. No security, no nothing.

Sailaway part is just what it says it is.. a party at sailaway. However, a lot of people will be asleep by then, the combination of an early get up and long flight plus the time difference means folk go to bed very early on day one.

You wont get sea sick so forget about it ! Ginger is a good remedy though, take some ginger biscuits if you are really concerend, but dont be.

My top tip is : mingle. People want to be friendly and they want new friends. The ones that get involved and talk to people have a great time.. you can see the ones that dont mingle.. they sit on their own and gaze at the ceiling a bit ;)

You will have a lovely time on Celebration. She's not a new ship but has character and everyone is so friendly. With regard to sea-sickness, this is unusual except if you get a high sea as we did one night in the Carribean. I had been recommended Stugeron tablets - available from any chemist. I took one tablet as I was feeling queasy and went to bed. Woke up next morning feeling great - had missed it all. Worth buying as they are approx £3, much cheaper than having to visit a doctor on ship. Enjoy your trip.

We have just come back from Paradise Islands and had a great time. Everything runs smoothly with Thomson getting on board. We didn't have sea sickness, but I always have pills with me in case, but in 10 cruises now have never needed them - must be getting past their sell by date! They are a bit of a security blanket. Enjoy exploring the ship, and find where you like to drink on her, and have a great time.