shore excursions in Falmouth, Jamaica with wheelchair or folding stroller

Kcheine

This is my first post so...

I have a 14 year old son with CP. He uses an electric wheelchair and has a collapsable stroller. Our Carnival cruise is stopping in Falmouth, Jamaica. Any suggestions on wheelchair accessible excursions that both my kids will enjoy. I am thinking beach.

Thank you!

DCL Magic 2011 (Eastern)

DCL Fantasy 2012 (Western)

DCL Dream 2013 (Bahamas)

Carnival Freedom 2014 (Western)

Carnival Breeze March 2015 (Western)

Unless Carnival's shore excursion department offers a tour that uses an accessible vehicle there are no accessible public transportation options available in Falmouth. However tax drivers will generally accommodate a folding wheelchair or a travel size scooter that breaks down to fit into a trunk.

Here's some general port information

Falmouth Jamaica -Docked Port

The area directly outside the port was built new specifically to accommodate the larger cruise ships. Therefore accessibility overall is very good within the port shopping area but is questionable beyond the port area .

• Most stores entrances are accessible. I say most because many of the smaller travel scooters such as a Pride GoGo have a very low clearance and occasionally you might find a store that does not have a complete zero threshold entrance
  • Aisle width in stores vary and can be tight to maneuver
  • benches scatter all throughout the area
  • Cabs and tour vans are not wheelchair accessible.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if it's collapsible. Otherwise you're generally ask to leave it at the tour office which makes it difficult for the person requiring the use of such mobility item.
  • There is a large pubic wheelchair accessible washroom in the shopping area

Check out Karandas Tours. We will be Falmouth in March and just booked one of the beach excursions - Doctors Cove Beach Club . They have accessible mini buses. http://www.falmouthjamaicaexcursions.com. Under "customize" you will see special needs and information about their accessible buses for 1-6 people.

Edited by accessgetaways
added info

Unless Carnival's shore excursion department offers a tour that uses an accessible vehicle there are no accessible public transportation options available in Falmouth. However tax drivers will generally accommodate a folding wheelchair or a travel size scooter that breaks down to fit into a trunk.

Here's some general port information

Falmouth Jamaica -Docked Port

The area directly outside the port was built new specifically to accommodate the larger cruise ships. Therefore accessibility overall is very good within the port shopping area but is questionable beyond the port area .

• Most stores entrances are accessible. I say most because many of the smaller travel scooters such as a Pride GoGo have a very low clearance and occasionally you might find a store that does not have a complete zero threshold entrance
  • Aisle width in stores vary and can be tight to maneuver
  • benches scatter all throughout the area
  • Cabs and tour vans are not wheelchair accessible.
  • If a person can transfer to the seat of a van most drivers will work with you to accommodate the scooter or wheelchair if it's collapsible. Otherwise you're generally ask to leave it at the tour office which makes it difficult for the person requiring the use of such mobility item.
  • There is a large pubic wheelchair accessible washroom in the shopping area

I have just returned from a cruise which stopped at Falmouth. The shopping / tourist area was within the port area itself. There is nothing else in Falmouth worth seeing in my opinion (we took a tour just to make sure!).

We were with Royal Caribbean and they did have a tour designed specifically for people with mobility problems. However it was cancelled at the last minute. I didn't see any alternatives offered by the ship or private offerings at the port.

A popular destination seemed to be Montego Bay. I didn't go but other members of our group did and they enjoyed it.

I have just returned from a cruise which stopped at Falmouth. The shopping / tourist area was within the port area itself. There is nothing else in Falmouth worth seeing in my opinion (we took a tour just to make sure!).

We were with Royal Caribbean and they did have a tour designed specifically for people with mobility problems. However it was cancelled at the last minute. I didn't see any alternatives offered by the ship or private offerings at the port.

A popular destination seemed to be Montego Bay. I didn't go but other members of our group did and they enjoyed it.

Had the same experience everytime I've been to Falmouth with RCCL with regards to the accessible tours. It generally gets canceled at the last minute as it's very expensive if only a couple people book it. I generally always plan that as my day to just enjoy the features of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

i am not sure your budget and you would have to write to them and see if they could bring the folding wheelchair but we are going to do the day pass at jewels runaway bay, it has a beach but also a small water park with a lazy river. Maybe you son could enjoy that. http://www.jaital.com/falmouth-jamaica/jewel-runaway-bay-day-pass--water-park-tour_LGSZ_1942.html this is who we booked thru and they have a place on thier web page you can send them an email. wheel chair in the sand is tricky but can be done. but should be good at the water park

Check with Andrea at travelaroundjamaica.com. We booked a wheelchair accessible excursion with them for next month in Montego Bay, but I think they do Falmouth, too. She was great to work with & responded very quickly to my many, many questions!