Where to stop on beach for good food and fun for kids

LavenderGeek

We will be in Progreso next week with a 3yo and 6yo. As we have already been to Chichen Itza and don't really want to take the kids on any long bus rides, our plan is to just take the free bus down to the end of the pier and walk to the beach. The beach itself doesn't really interest us (we live near Galveston ... same beach, basically, I've been told), but we can relax while the kids play. Is there a particular spot we should stop on the beach? A restaurant with particularly good food? Or maybe a place that has beach toys? Or is that not done there?

A few facts: We don't drink alcohol, so the fact that a place has cheap drinks isn't relevant to us. I do love a good tropical fruit juice, hibiscus tea, and the like, though. Also, the kids and I don't eat meat, so it couldn't be a place that doesn't serve some non-meat options. (Even just chips and a good guacamole will keep me happy all day ... the chips in Mexico are just so much better than the ones in the US.) My husband does eat meat and enjoys traditional Mexican foods, as his family is from Mexico. As such, speaking Spanish and such is not a problem, either.

Thanks!