We need a new ship in Boston!!!!!

hladygirl

I want a cruise ship from any line to sail out of Chicago so I could drive to the port, but that isn't going to happen.

There actually are a number of cruise ships in the great lakes. They are small ships.

The Lake Michigan ferry's are Milwaukee to Muskegon and Manitowoc to Ludington.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure what Port agent you spoke to, but that is simply not true, at least from a Harbor standpoint. We have massive ships coming in and out all day every day (my office has a view of the airport and the entire inner harbor so I can see the activity all day).

I have seen the RCL Anthem and other similar size cruise ships here as well. I think the limitation is not the harbor or the piers themselves (which are in much better shape than NYC -- in my opinion), but the relatively small black falcon terminal and the lack of large tourist cruising infrastructure down in the seaport. Some have mentioned possibly going to a forced arrival time staggered approach to support larger ships, but as a Bostonian, I just don't think that would work.

Black Falcon is essentially an add on to centuries old commercial shipping operations. The fact that it is located smack dab in the middle of the hottest real estate area in Boston right now also means getting around the area is getting more and more difficult. Just the other day I had a arbitration hearing down in that area. It took me 1 hour to make it back to my condo ... which was a little over a mile away in the financial district. I would typically walk but it was pouring rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just now saw this post. Although the port agent did tell me that Anthem was tendering into Boston the day after I was at Black Falcon for the stated reason (apparently in error), the bottom line is what you describe. The port cannot currently handle the volume of people and cargo required for a larger cruise ship sailing. Thank you for your perspective.