helicopter and float plane safety?

styme123

@triptolemus:

In that second photo, is the helicopter on the left flying, or do they really land on the edge of a cliff? That would freak me out. I hope they are flying, and would be they are!

My husband and I are going to Alaska this August. He doesn't have a fear of flying in big planes (although he's not a fan) but refuses to go on small aircraft. So he and I are splitting up. In Juneau I am doing a helicopter/glacier/ dog mushing excursion and he is going to Mendenhall. We will meet up to take the tram if its not raining or do something else if it is. In Ketchikan I am taking a floatplane to bear watch at Traitors Cove and he is Halibut fishing. This splitting up works for us (we are pretty independent and friendly) but its not for everyone. I would never want to push him to do something he would be uncomfortable doing. At dinner we will have lots to talk about. LOL

Great solution that works for you both. I am fortunate that both my wife and I are ok with flying, so we have been able to do these types of excursions together. Have a wonderful trip!

I did a Promech floatplane tour out of Juneau in 2009. The weather was absolutely horrible with howling winds and pouring rain. I was scared but did get some decent pictures. Our pilot was a top notch professional. I saw the HAL crash in 2015. For me, I would not do it again. Our pilot was great but I am low risk and I would rather do something on the ground. The weather in Alaska is frequently rainy from what I know. I have also done the helicopter tour in Hawaii. I was younger and fearless then. Now I am older and more fearful. Matter of personal preference. I researched safety records extensively before I did it. Most are safe just a matter of your personal comfort.