Join us for 3-day wheelchair-accessible tour of St. Petersburg in June 2016

Attaa

Hello everyone! We are looking forward to a great trip on Celebrity's Silhouette in June 2016. We are taking a 3-day wheelchair-accessible tour of St. Petersburg from June 22-24 with Alla Tours and looking for up to four people (including up to 2 wheelchair users) to join the two of us. Our tour includes all the main sites that are wheelchair-friendly, so we can visit this beautiful city without too much stress. We are looking for others to join us. Anyone interested? Our walking and driving tour in a wheelchair accessible van includes sights such as the Hermitage, Church on the Blood, St. Peter and Paul Fortress, Catherine’s Palace, The Peterhof, Isaac's Cathedral, the impressionist collection at the General Staff Building, and St. Nicolas Church. Pricing will depend on the total number of participants: $US545 for 3 people, $460 for 4 people, $395 for 5 people, and $360 if there are 6 of us. Contact Alla Tours at: info@alla-tour.com and join our group, “Access St. Petersburg”.

Nancy

Nancy, we will be on the same trip the first week of July! I'm still in the process of choosing our tour company. May I ask why you chose Alla? I can't make up my mind and I better do it quickly! Our stay in SPB will only be two nights.

You might try posting this in your roll call. I'm sure you will find some takers.

Kate

Zellalamb

Thanks Kate. Alla came highly recommended by a friend who uses a manual chair who took their tour several years ago. The ratings online are extremely positive, and I read quite a few by wheelchair users, the majority of which are very positive. Alla's communications have been prompt and detailed.

A couple of tips of which you may be aware: Measurements of your chair and weight have to be submitted to Catherine's Palace for prior approval to tour there. Alla will do this. Also, some wheelchair users are refused enter to some SP locations due to their dark/dirty tires and the fear they will mark the floors. If you have black tires you are advised to purchase covers for them.

Can I ask about your arrangements/research in other ports? Have you selected some tour companies? Alla does not provide wheelchair accessible tours in other ports.

Right now I am particularly interested in Tallinn as I hear so many bad things about the cobblestones. I don't know whether to take a taxi or a tour. Prices are also very high.

Any luck on a wheelchair taxi in Amsterdam?

I did post in roll call. Thanks.

N

Attaa

We did the 2 day Comfort tour with Alla in SPB in September 2014. I took a manual wheelchair and the only thing I couldn't manage was the metro ride. However, I can walk short distances and climb stairs.

Tallin was definately not disabled friendly and there has been no effort to make it so. We took a taxi to top of the hill and walked down. Not only are the cobblestones a problem, there are no cut kerbs and the pavements are narrow with various obstacles like holes and drains.

I had wanted to visit Tallin for quite some time, but for me was the disappointment of the ports of call. Too crowded and too touristy for me.

We did a ship's tour to visit Gdansk due to time constrictions, but apart from that did not bother with any other ship excursions.

• 3 weeks later...

So that is why they wanted to know the weight and dimensions of my chair! How does one buy wheel covers for a chair? I've never heard of them.

We booked a two day tour with Alla. My companions really want to see as much as possible and I don't mind waiting for them in places I can't get into. We haven't researched anywhere else yet. I better get on it!

Attaa

When did you visit SPB as I didn't encounter any of the things regarding the wheelchair you have mentioned? In fact, in St Catherine's Palace my OH had to wear covers on his shoes and I remember remarking to him about wheelchair wheels.

Neither were we refused entrance anywhere or asked for any dimensions. We visited in September 2013, so things may have changed since then.

You can purchase wheelchair tire covers online but check with Alla first as to whether you need them. I have since been advised I don't need them. The big concern seems to be black marks left on the floor by black tires.

Kate, it seems there is plenty to see that is wheelchair accessible so I hope you won't spend too much time waiting around. I was told by an able bodied friend that the 4 thing to see are: The Hermitage, Catharine's Palace, The Peterhof and Church of the Spilled Blood. All are "accessible" (or at least "wheelchair-friendly") but the interior of The Peterhof is not (other than a small palace I think). However, the gardens are. My friend said you wouldn't be missing much INSIDE the Peterhof and that Catherine's Palace is the place to see inside. Another friend who took the Alla wheelchair tour said they saw more than those on regular group tours...special entrances and no need to wait around for a larger group getting on and off the buses.

Catherine's Palace requires dimensions. It must have a small lift...? I'm guessing regular manual chairs may not be a problem, but power chairs might. Again, people need to check. I did read another posting somewhere describing how a traveller using a power chair was denied entry.

Kate, I'd love to know how you do with other ports. Best of luck.

Thanks.

Attaa

• 3 weeks later...

We haven't booked anything else yet for the cruise. I am thinking that we will just wing it. For Tallin, we may take a taxi to the top and work our way down but I understand it won't be easy. As for Amsterdam, there is another thread here that is pretty detailed about how to get around.

We are booked on Alla Tours for a 2 day private grand tour. They have asked me to provide wheelchair wheel covers. Does anyone know where to get these things? I have 18" wheels.

Kate

Hello everyone! We are looking forward to a great trip on Celebrity's Silhouette in June 2016. We are taking a 3-day wheelchair-accessible tour of St. Petersburg from June 22-24 with Alla Tours and looking for up to four people (including up to 2 wheelchair users) to join the two of us. Our tour includes all the main sites that are wheelchair-friendly, so we can visit this beautiful city without too much stress. We are looking for others to join us. Anyone interested? Our walking and driving tour in a wheelchair accessible van includes sights such as the Hermitage, Church on the Blood, St. Peter and Paul Fortress, Catherine’s Palace, The Peterhof, Isaac's Cathedral, the impressionist collection at the General Staff Building, and St. Nicolas Church. Pricing will depend on the total number of participants: $US545 for 3 people, $460 for 4 people, $395 for 5 people, and $360 if there are 6 of us. Contact Alla Tours at: info@alla-tour.com and join our group, “Access St. Petersburg”.

Nancy

Post this on your ROLL CALL, too. That's where you'll find others who are on the exact schedule you are on.

You might also mention if this tour could accept someone needing a scooter or walker, but not a wheelchair.

(I'd post a link, but don't know what ship or exact departure date you'll be on.)