married in port

angel41

After mulling this over a bit - I really dont think it matters one way or the other.

If you want a land wedding (aka, on a beach or by a waterfall) make sure you pick a cruise/cruise line that offers you a lot of time in that port.

If you have an affiinity to a particular line then that might help you in your decision.

One suggestion I would make is to research wedding coordinators that work out of that port as well as researching about the wedding company that the ship provides.

I think everyone, except Holland America, uses Royal Romance (aka The Wedding Experience). Not sure though.

Search the board for reviews of RR/TWE

We were dead set on getting married on St John (USVI), so we chose a cruise that offered a long time in port for St Thomas. I was limited to summer, Spring Break, or Winter break due to being a teacher, so that narrowed our choices down. Winter break was too expensive for us/families and summer was hurricane season, so we settled on Spring Break (March).

On our return cruise to our wedding beach the following year, we actually chose the cruise specifically based on port times for St Thomas so that we could return to our wedding beach on St John and share another (smaller) wedding cake. HAL Zuiderdam had St Thomas port times of 8AM - Midnight, which ended up being shortened to 8AM - 9 PM by the time we sailed, which was still plenty of time. We enjoyed a good, FULL day on St John before cruising over to Tortola for port the following morning.

So I say pick your wedding location, then choose the cruise. Just my personal opinion and experience. :) However, remember the fine print in your cruise contract that the cruise line can change the itinerary at any time for no specified reason.

I just want to thank you for the info on your St. John wedding. You were so convincing in you review I decided to book them for our vow renewal in March. So far I have been very happy with Stacy. (After talking with our TA and RR/RCCL we decided to do the renewal at a port.) We are having the service on Hawksnest on a Sunday afternoon, since Sunday is the day we are in USVI.:) I am hoping for a beautiful day and I think I am more excited about this than I was my orginal wedding 25 yrs ago!

Thanks again.

Judi

Yea, Judi!! It *will* be beautiful!! :) I was fortunate to get to meet Stacy four months prior when signing the contract and picking up our engagement photos, so it felt like running into an old friend the day of the wedding. And her husband really does make a yummy, beautiful cake! I'm excited for you - wow - 25 years. CONGRATS!! We are itching to go back so badly, but on another land vacation hopefully. Please definitely share an updated review when you return! :)

I know if I could just hear those waves gently rolling in, I'd be able to go back to sleep... hate it when I wake up and can't fall back sleep!

Archived