From Studio to ??..Another upsell question

JuneBugFL

I know, I know - another upsell question. I did search through the last several months worth of posts on upsells and did not find the answer to my somewhat unique question.

I am booked in a Studio on the May 21st sailing on the Escape. I am perfectly happy with it, but wouldn't mind a balcony as well. After reading through all of the upsell posts, I started to wonder if it was even possible to go from a studio to a higher category. After doing a few mock bookings it looks like there are still plenty of cabins that have balconies available.

Has anyone done this - and was it different from a regular upsell? Do you end up with a pp total that is multiplied by 2 for a single occupant?

I have had 2 upsells from studios; both on the Breakaway when studios had sold out and many other categories had plenty of vacancies. Each time the offer was based on one person extra cost, not double. So I also got an upgrade to a mini suite for $300 for a 7 day cruise last year and just scored an upsell from studio to Haven Spa on a 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise on January 31 for $1000 and I still could join the studio activities. It was a big extra expense for me, but well worth it as the Breakaway had just switched to the new menu and there were horrendously long waits for service in the main dining rooms for the studio groups- (over one hour to get even appetizers , water refills or wine service), so the wonderful Haven dining room with prompt service and delicious food became my only way to eat after 6:30 and still be able to make it to the theater for the late seating show. But it only works if the studio cabins have sold out.

I say don't wait. By the time I tried in Feb for Breakaway cruise, Balconies were cheaper than Studios and had no single supplement (so way cheaper) and they flat out said no every time I called. They could sell the cheaper balcony to 2 or more people and leave me in my studio versus trying to sell my more expensive studio to a solo passenger. I will always wait to book when travelling solo now during off-peak times.

I was booked studio on the Big E 3/19. Did upsell, I called in, to mini-suite for $300. Room # 14832, bed by balcony. It was wonderful. Call them, you never know. It was about 10 days before cruise. Good luck!

Did you still have access to the studio lounge as a solo traveller even though you were no longer staying in a studio cabin?

Others with experience have stated that the nightly happy hour in the Studio Lounge is open to all solo travelers.

Sometimes people are able to convince the people at Guest Services to code their key card to let them into the lounge at other times. But this seems to be hit or miss.

But I haven't been on a ship with a Studio Lounge yet, so people should feel free to correct me. :)

On the Breakaway, the first solo meeting was in Maltings but only so the coordinator could bring the non-studio solos to the lounge. There were a couple of people who turned up thinking Solo travelers was a Singles event - we didn't see them after that first night. :p All other meetings were in the lounge & the door to the hallway was propped open during those times & also when people didn't close it all the way.

Edited by khaide612

i get upgraded to balconies from studios very frequently, but thats because i watch the price ( need price drops on higher cats) and have a great personal cruise consultant. Last 2 week cruise in Jan, I was in a mini suite[emoji41]

Once I had my card coded for lounge access. Lately, theyve refused, but as one OP said, the gathering was in either Maltings or Sunrise, I believe.

Edited by mrobstad