Getting to St. John on your own

tory707

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by auntieann:

Shuksan7

Thanks for the info. Could you recommend a better beach than Cinnamon Bay if you only have a day ?

Ann

Until Golden Princess

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We spent two vacations on St. John. We enjoyed Hawksnest Beach the best. I believe it is the first beach out of Cruz Bay just before Trunk. It has been a while, but they are very close together. Depending on where you have snorkeled before will determine how much you like it. It is much better than St. Martin but not as good as the Caymans. Trunk actuall has a trail you can follow. The sand is very soft, just bring your Princess towell or two and you will be fine. There is some shade at the beaches but it is under scrubby type trees. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Depending on when the ship leaves St. Thomas, I would be on a ferry back from Red Hook at least 2 hours before. Right at the ferry terminal are some places to grab a bite to eat and once you walk off the dock, ask someone where Woody's is, fun place.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Northender... thanks for adding to Ann's options. Hawksnest looks absolutely beautiful. Is there a place to rent gear there??

I want so bad to stay at St. Johns for one or two weeks. In fact, we are planning such a trip but can't figure out exactly where to stay.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Very easy to get there. When you get off the ship and walk to the taxis there'll be someone there to direct you to the taxi going to the St. John ferry dock. It's about $8.00 per person each way. We arranged with our driver to meet us for the return ride but that's not necessary. There will be plenty of taxis when you come back. It's about a 20 minute ride (some of the hills are incredibly steep). The ferry leaves on the hour and is $3.00 per person each way. From the ferry dock in St. John (Cruz Bay) you take another taxi to Trunk Bay for $4.00 per person each way. At Trunk Bay there is an admission fee of $4.00 per person over the age of 16. So the total cost is $34. per person. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a taxi to get to the ferry, the ferry, and then another taxi. I suppose it all goes pretty smoothly, but I like the idea of taking one of the cruise ship excursions to St. Johns, without the hassle of 4 taxi rides and 2 ferries.

For us the cab and ferry rides are so worth it because we get to stay on St. John's longer than the excursion allows.

shuksan7 - we want to do a trip like that too and take our kids with us. I am not sure where to stay either but I don't think there could be a bad place. icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2003;5;11;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Norway 5/11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by auntieann:

Northender,

Thanks. We've snorkeled at Buck Island which is not that far away and I was happy with that.

BTW how did you like the Grand?

Ann

Until Golden Princess

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;3;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

auntieann

I just loved the Grand but have nothing to compare it to as this was our first cruise. We did the Western Carib. It took me years to get DH to sign on the dotted line, and now he bugs me almost daily as to when our next one is, what ship (I may stick with Grand or one of the sister ships). The Grand has something for everyone, young, old and in-between. Loved the adult pool area and we were on Baha aft, port side with balcony. Life couldn't be better.

Just one thing - the coffee is really bad. Will bring something on my own next time. Nice lounges and entertainment and great staff.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shuksan7:

Northender... thanks for adding to Ann's options. Hawksnest looks absolutely beautiful. Is there a place to rent gear there??

I want so bad to stay at St. Johns for one or two weeks. In fact, we are planning such a trip but can't figure out exactly where to stay.

Rick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, I just love St. John. No there is no equipment at Hawksnest, but check the internet as there is a Marina right after you get off the ferry and I bet they have daily rentals. If not, just pack your own - that is what we do.

We rented a villa (fancy house) when we were there. They come in all price ranges and if other couples are going with you it helps to defray the costs. If you want more info, let me know. We went during shoulder season, the weather was beautiful, good to wonderful restaurants and a different beach everyday if you want. Oh, there is a place to rent snorkel gear, it was about $60 for the week, but that was a few years ago. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but could find out for you if you want. It is a small Island and not many roads as the National Forest sits right in the middle. Let me know

Adele

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Archived