Catania, Sicily tour ideas

caggfamily

we dock in Catania on our summer Celebrity cruise, and are looking for some ways to spend the day. We are likely going to be tired from visiting previous ports so i don't want anything that involves long bus rides or a lengthy tour. I don't object to a tour as long as it's easy and no more than a few hours. likewise, if there is something to do on our own, that would be fine too. the tours i've seen seem to include mt. etna, which might be interesting, but almost all of them involve visiting the lava tubes/caves and my teenager is very claustrophobic so that is a no go.

i'd appreciate any ideas/suggestions on how to spend a few hours in port. i think we are there 8-5

On our Celebrity cruise last year, we hired a driver from the Catania port to take us to/from Taoromina for about 2-3 hours.. price was 100 euros but was negoitable. It was about a 45 min. drive to get there, but you won't regret visiting that beautiful coastal city. Don't miss the Greek Theatre.

Another option/addition is to walk around Catania - very pleasant pedestrian walkway (Via Etnea) and also Piazza del Duomo and you can also deviate if you like and visit places such as Monastero dei Benedettini - now a college.. You will be in awe and you stroll up the staircase. Also a very well preeseved Roman theatre is in Catania. 6 euros last year, or free if over 65 with ID.

Our port was Messina and we also hired a driver and went up to Taormina and then onto the village above Taormina (I think it was Castleomina?). It was a really nice drive -- our driver stopped at some overlooks and the views were spectacular. The village of Taormina was rather fun -- very lively spot with lots of little shops. I went to the theater --- I think I was the only one there. My husband and kids went shopping. It was a really nice day overall and I'm glad we went.