Word of Caution re ID Documents

reader5

In early 2005 my friend and I had cruised on one of the M class ships in a Sky Suite. Nothing to complain about since everything was wonderful and we had a great cruise. However, very careless of me I left my identification documents - driver's licence, birth certificate, Canadian health card, (not my passport or funds) in my purse which was tucked away in one of the compartments ( desk shelf ) in my suite. Not thinking anything about this since the documents (driver's licence, birth certificate and Canadian Health Card) were inside a zippered compartment in my purse. A few weeks after I had arrived home I had occasion to look for these documents and could not locate them. I looked high and low everywhere thinking perhaps I had just misplaced them. Alas, not so. I had to report the documents as stolen to the appropriate authorities and had to go through a lot of aggravation to get replacements. In fact, it took three months to get a new birth certificate! Fortunately I did put my passport in the safe on board so no problem with that. I hate to point fingers as normally I am not a suspicious person nor careless with items (just this once). I know, I know, how stupid of me. I did not use this purse again until our last stop which was Nassau and then back to Canada. I only bring this to everyone's attention since you have to be so careful no matter where you are. I did not open the zippered compartment at all during the time I had the purse when I got off the ship in Nassau or at any other time.

I can only assume (and I hope I am wrong) that these documents were taken from the suite. Certainly I did not report this to Celebrity since there was such a lapse in time from when I left the ship and noticed the documents were missing.

I don't believe however that these documents were "plucked" from my purse when it was in my possession since it was in a zippered compartment and the purse at those times was held close to my shoulder under my arm.

This message is just for a word of caution to be very careful of these type of documents no matter where you are.

Archived