Entertainment Question for Recent Viking Ocean Cruisers

cruisegal#116

My husband and I are seriously considering a Viking Ocean Cruise next June on the "Into the Midnight Sun Itinerary" to celebrate our 50th Anniversary.

We have cruised many times on everything from Seabourn to Carnival and everything in between. We have done 5 River Cruises three of them on Viking.

I just spoke with someone who returned from a cruise on Viking Star this past winter who told me there was no evening entertainment and that the only music that was offered was classical music.

I am not looking for a party ship or disco music but I would like to have a show and or movie in the evening as well as some music that we might dance to.

Would you be so kind as to share your entertainment experiences here to help us make a good decision?

Everything else on Viking Ocean seems to point to a great experience from my research.

We want this to be a special trip to celebrate a milestone and don't want to make a wrong decision.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

We're recently disembarked from the Star (Barcelona to Bergen). We enjoyed quite a variety of on-board entertainment.

- Laslo, the resident guitarist (acoustic). He played light classical/jazz/pop tunes in various venues: the pool, the lobby, the back deck, the bar.

- A resident pianist, whose name escapes me. He played regularly on a grand piano in the main lobby, and another in the Explorer's lounge (Deck 7, bow of ship).

- the resident baroque trio (flute, cello, violin). They also appear daily/nightly in various venues. The trio and Laslo performed every day (alternately) at the afternoon High Tea (4 pm in Wintergarden).

- the resident 'bar band'. Pop/rock/jazz, a bit of everything. They do a regular gig in Torshaven (sort of a small 'club' setting) every night. They started the cruise playing in the pool area at lunch time, but unfortunately, they got the hook when somebody complained they were too loud. They are also the backup for the resident dance/singing ensemble.

Aforementioned ensemble comprises 8 singer/dancers. They presented two or three 'production' numbers during our two weeks on board. One of the shows was pretty good, one was rather odd.

In addition to the above, there were a number of 'guest' performers.

- Mike Sterling, tenor, who's performed in Les Miz, Phantom, and other big name shows on London's West End. He did two shows.

- a Fado performance (a traditional Portugese art form) - guitars, percussion, vocal.

- an violin + piano duo performing Norwegian music the night we sailed into Bergen.

- probably one or two others I've forgotten.

A few nights there were Movies under the Stars. There's a big screen on the pool deck. If the weather is warm enough that the sliding roof is open, it really will be under the stars. (If the roof is closed, it's Movies with Eau de Chlorine:-) One thing that impressed me: in order to ensure decent audio quality (in the gigantic pool enclosure), Viking provides wireless headsets.

There was lots to keep us entertained.

Screen-gem

We totally agree with your response. Lots of entertainment IF you want it and look for it. We saw the theatre shows, enjoyed the music in the lobby, etc.

Movies under the stars. We would have enjoyed music stations on our stateroom TV's. (Viking. Are you listening?)

Torshaven offers a great intimate venue for music and dancing. The trio is quite versatile. Latin, rock, smooth dance music. You name it, they will play it. Christina (the singer) is very good. We were on board the Star's July 25/15 cruise (Stockholm to Barcelona). But hardly anyone ventured there after supper. Together with my sister and her husband, we were often the only couples there. Peter (band leader) kindly allowed my husband (a devoted Elvis Tribute Artist) to sing with the band on a few occasions. If I have to say it, he rocked the joint. Viking would do well to promote the Torshaven experience.

Linda

Looking forward to our next Viking cruise - Apr/17 on the Viking Sky - Barcelona to Stockholm