Diabetic cruising

nycmedic

If you need a sharps container for lancets, syringes etc, the room steward can get you one. If you fill it, they can get you more. I'm a type 1 on an insulin pump, so I fill a couple per cruise. I also put my test strips in the sharps box just so the steward doesn't accidentally have to deal with any that may miss the trash or fall out etc. Those pesky strips turn up in the funiest places lol.

What do you do for keeping insulin cold? I noticed it says don't use the fridge (which is where my son stores his)

Also, what do you do to keep it cool when you're off the ship? I wanted to use those sealed frozen ice blocks you can buy...... But how do you freeze them?

Walking in Pompeii in August, with Zero shade is going to get mighty hot!

I was diagnosed last June and just finished my 2nd cruise as a diabetic. I think I've got it partly figured out (still doing a little trial & error with "new" foods).

They bring me the next day's menu so I can customize it.

Here's what I've come up with for me.

Breakfast-omelet with ham, mushrooms, white cheese, jalepeno. A few pieces of cantaloupe.

Seaday brunch-Salmon & the hen.

Lunch-Guy's Burgers-2 Plain Janes, no bun, ketchup, jalepeno. I'm thinking of trying Pig Patty (no sauces) w/o bun. I need the extra sodium (Dr orders...bad orthostatic hypotension). Ice Tea-for the caffeine (again-dr orders).

Dinner-mostly Salmon/fish, steak, filet w/short ribs (no sauces) and broccoli & green beans. Appetizer-going to see if I can Ahi Tuna every night. Dessert - cheese plate but only Swiss (only cheese I like) w/a few strawberries (no grapes).

I bring some of my usual snacks and always have water with me (as well as water enhancers with electrolytes). Be sure to take enough water ashore too.

Since I'm Platinum, I go to guest services and change my "chocolate delight" to just plain strawberries. They put cookies with them last time-have to see if they can let me know sugar free ones or something else.

I also found a wonderful app that has the nutritional info (regular menu- not "special" new items) that has really helped. I don't remember if it was free or about $2. Icon is white background with fork & knife , red lettering- Reataurants & Nutrition.

Hope some of this helps.

What do you do for keeping insulin cold? I noticed it says don't use the fridge (which is where my son stores his)

Also, what do you do to keep it cool when you're off the ship? I wanted to use those sealed frozen ice blocks you can buy...... But how do you freeze them?

Walking in Pompeii in August, with Zero shade is going to get mighty hot!

As far as keeping it cold on the ship, medical can keep it in their fridge. However, once most insulin pens and vials are open and in use, they are fine at room temperature for 28 days. Vials and pens not opened yet should be stored in the fridge. Injections are less painful at room temperature too. As far as while out on excurtions, personally I bring a small cooler that holds a baby bottle and put a disposable ice pack in it like you use out of a first aid kit - the kind you squeeze to activate. Then I can just pitch it when I get back to the ship. Take a spare with you so if it starts to get warm, you can replace it. Also, they make a pouch called Frio. You can get them on Amazon and I've seen them at walgreens. It has a reusable pack in it that you soak in water and keeps your insulin pens, vials, or pump cool by evaporation. Once activated it can keep insulin cool for a few days, then you just soak the pack again. They are in the 20 to 30 dollar price range usually, but the same one will last for years I'm told. I know some diabetics that have them and they are very happy with them . You could also just put your insulin in a zip lock baggie in a small cooler in your room and just have the steward or room service bring you new ice daily. Hope I helped!

As far as keeping it cold on the ship, medical can keep it in their fridge. However, once most insulin pens and vials are open and in use, they are fine at room temperature for 28 days. Vials and pens not opened yet should be stored in the fridge. Injections are less painful at room temperature too. As far as while out on excurtions, personally I bring a small cooler that holds a baby bottle and put a disposable ice pack in it like you use out of a first aid kit - the kind you squeeze to activate. Then I can just pitch it when I get back to the ship. Take a spare with you so if it starts to get warm, you can replace it. Also, they make a pouch called Frio. You can get them on Amazon and I've seen them at walgreens. It has a reusable pack in it that you soak in water and keeps your insulin pens, vials, or pump cool by evaporation. Once activated it can keep insulin cool for a few days, then you just soak the pack again. They are in the 20 to 30 dollar price range usually, but the same one will last for years I'm told. I know some diabetics that have them and they are very happy with them . You could also just put your insulin in a zip lock baggie in a small cooler in your room and just have the steward or room service bring you new ice daily. Hope I helped!

Also they can keep unopened bottles of insulin at Guest Services in a full refrigerator if you are worried about the fridge in the cabin not being cold enough. I always use the fridge in the room and my insulin is always OK. Frio coolers are great, I use those all the time if I am somewhere sans fridge like the beach :D

I'm type 2 and I eat everything and have a few drinks, you can do this if you don't go crazy. My sugars are good and i don't go overboard. I will have desert and other sweats but am careful. everyone with type 2 are not the same, some people handle things better and there sugars are easier to control. My system may change latter in life and I have to change and cut back. Type 1 is a different story. Harder to control.

Many thanks.... I only mentioned about not using the room fridge as its stated there are medical coolers available. If the fridge is cool enough, then it's not an issue.

I've already bought a small insulated pen case to carry the pen in. I had originally thought that the squeeze type of cooler you mention would be fine, but saw they only last for 20 minutes. I suspect in a case it'll be longer.... But even so, I'm not sure it's man enough to stay cool for a 12 hour stint in the sun! I hear what you say about once out of the fridge.... But doesn't its effectiveness dimishish if it got warm?

Anyway... It was one of those small self sealed ice blocks I had been looking at and where I could get it frozen on the ship....But if those squeeze type are adequate, I guess they will do.... Though free reusable sounds better!

Edited by les37b