Iceland layover

We are flying Iceland Air for our upcoming trip to the Baltics. On the way home, we opted for a 1 day layover in Iceland. Has anyone had any experience with this? Recommendations for a quick tour?

• 4 weeks later...

When we went last year I didn't go into the hot springs, but OH did. There appeared to be steps into the water, but did have a hand rail. Does it not say on their website? It would surprise me if they aren't. Otherwise, send them an email to ask.

The Blue Lagoon is wheelchair accessible and there is a lift into the water somewhere. Everyone in Iceland speaks wonderful English so you will have no problem asking for help.

It is also a very easy country to drive in. With only a day you could easily rent a car and drive out to Gulfoss and Geyser and be back for dinner ( I don't recall the accessibility there as I had no mobility issues back then). There is really only one road once you get out of Reykjavik so you can't get lost!

We were there 10 years ago and I would LOVE to go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We had a wonderful time for our short stay in Iceland. We had a 17 hour layover. Arrived at 11:30pm and had to wait over an hour for our bag because the carousel was broken. Took a shuttle bus over to the car rental agency. The bus had a ramp but my husband had to put it out. Got the car and my foldable chair fit in the back. Our hotel was in downtown Reykjavik. We chose this hotel because it was in the Iceland Air program and was the least expensive. We got lost looking for it and finally figured out that it was on a walk street. My husband had to park and go look for it on foot. They told him how to find the parking lot by turning the wrong way down a one way street...our room was quite large and there was a lift but there were these funny thresholds that you had to step over - almost like a cruise ship. There was no time to shower but there was a stool in there and a hand held.

four hours of sleep and then we were up for breakfast and headed off for a really quick tour of the south. We had to be back at the airport by 2pm. The landscape was awe inspiring. We stopped at a bubbling sulfur hot springs where there was a wooden ramp that took you around several of them. That was neat. The rest room there was accessible but you first had to get on a ramp that was about a foot from the ground at the edge. We hopped back in the car and drove to the Blue Lagoon. You need to purchase tickets to use this spa well in advance. We had no time for that anyway but were allowed to tour the place and watch the bathers. It was ramped everywhere. There was an accessible changing room.

We drove then to a lighthouse and astounding cliff. We just drove the car out pretty far and had a good look.

Back in the car, we saw the rift between the continents and then back to the airport. Five hour tour. I really want to go back and spend more time!