Rhapsody of the Seas Greece/Adriatic Review from a RCCL newbie!

We had a flight at that time. We pre-booked a transfer to the airport with A2B. It was no hassle. The driver is waiting for you when you get off the ship holding up a piece of paper with your name on. There are also plenty of taxis available just as you exit the ship.

Do you know how long it took to get to the airport this way?

Also does anyone know how much a water taxi would be to the airport?

Edited by lou2003k

I wasn't on this sailing, but I've been to Venice before. The bus ride is about 20-25 minutes. The people mover was super busy, so we ended up just walking to Piazza Roma. A private water taxi is going to run into the $100.00's and will take longer than the bus. You can do the Blue line $16.00 alilAguaNa run from the ship port to the airport, but they say to allow 2 hours for that tranfer so it depends on if you have spare time or not.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-blu

We are doing the blue line into Venice because we aren't under any time frame.

BostonJet (sorry for the auto correction) and Biker, where did dock in Mykonos? We've booked a yacht trip and need to get transportation from the boat to the yacht.

I wasn't on this sailing, but I've been to Venice before. The bus ride is about 20-25 minutes. The people mover was super busy, so we ended up just walking to Piazza Roma. A private water taxi is going to run into the $100.00's and will take longer than the bus. You can do the Blue line $16.00 alilAguaNa run from the ship port to the airport, but they say to allow 2 hours for that tranfer so it depends on if you have spare time or not.

BostonJet (sorry for the auto correction) and Biker, where did dock in Mykonos? We've booked a yacht trip and need to get transportation from the boat to the yacht.

In regards the the water taxi, thanks for answering as we did not take one from the port. We did take one from the airport into the city upon arrival in Venice and it was 110 Euros...Divided by 4 people it is not bad.

From the seaport to the airport I still maintain that a standard road-taxi is the easiest and most convenient way to go. It may not be the cheapest but it was certainly not unreasonably priced and if I never have to subject myself to the mayhem that is Venice's public transport system again in my life I will be more than pleased haha.

In Mykonos we docked in the new port which is a few km from the center of Mykonos town. There is a shuttle bus and a water shuttle available to go into town. Both are similar priced [i think the water shuttle is a few cents more] but the land bus has less of a line and you could wait onboard rather than outside in direct sun as one had to do for the water option. We took a private taxi back to the port from Paradise Beach when it was time to leave. Cost was about 25 Euro.

Keep in mind that many, if not most, ships do not dock in Mykonos. Usually this is a tender port and we did not know we would be docking until the night before arriving. We felt very lucky as tendering, for lack of a better word, sucks. I am not sure if they are allowing more ships to dock now than in the past but don't count on it being guaranteed; you could well have to tender.

Edited by Bostonjetset

Thanks we have a flight at 12 to catch so want to be there in plenty of time we will wait and see what others are doing fastest way will suit us so possibly a road taxi then

Thank You BostonJet. We tendered last time in Mykonos also. But I remember cabs were very hard to come by and we had a departure time for the yacht in on the south west corner of the island.

And for the record, I absolutely agree with you. Private transfers are the simplest and quickest way to get around Venice.

I was on this sailing also. It was me, my 2DD's, & future SIL.

Possible late disembarkation : No! I was at GS & an elderly couple was inquiring about their RC transfers to airport. They were told they would have to be off the ship by 9:30 & their transfer wasn't till 1pm (since they had a late flight). They could store their luggage for 5 Euros per suitcase & enjoy Venice, but be back at port to leave at 1!:eek:

My DD & I planned on taking People Mover & then bus from Piazza Roma, but as we got off ship at 7:40, there were taxis for 45 Euros for 2 people. Just a little over double than the other way! We were tired & it was well worth it!

Curry food : It was available in Windjammer. Our waiter & asst waiter at MTD were from India, & when we inquired about possibly getting some curry dishes, they were very accommodating. From that night on, they checked with the chef to see what was available & we even got some Indian appetizers. It was wonderful!

Also, service was very quick in the Main Dining room!

Rhapsody is a wonderful ship with a great crew!!!

Bostonjet-

Thank you very much for this review. Great information and I have saved this to go back and study. We were originally scheduled to do a similar route on the Vision, November 2017. But it got cancelled so we are now booked on the Rhapsody for May 27, 2017.

I know you said you are not a "bake in the sun person", but if someone did want to have some beach time, what would you say was the average temperature for your cruise each day. Do you think the water would be too cold? Were people able to swim in the pool on the ship easily (I'm a wimp with cold water).

Like others have said, THANK YOU!

Bostonjet-

Thank you very much for this review. Great information and I have saved this to go back and study. We were originally scheduled to do a similar route on the Vision, November 2017. But it got cancelled so we are now booked on the Rhapsody for May 27, 2017.

I know you said you are not a "bake in the sun person", but if someone did want to have some beach time, what would you say was the average temperature for your cruise each day. Do you think the water would be too cold? Were people able to swim in the pool on the ship easily (I'm a wimp with cold water).

Like others have said, THANK YOU!

You are very welcome and thank you for reading!! I'm glad you found this helpful. Sorry to hear about your Vision sailing but hopefully you get 10 nights rather than 7 due to your change to the Rhapsody!!

As far as temperature goes, it varied throughout the trip but most days were between 65-75 Fahrenheit. Santorini was over 80 so I found it too hot but if you like warm weather it would have been perfect. We DID go to the beach in Mykonos and it was beautiful. The air temp was around 75F that day which is perfect for me at a beach. I even went into the water but only up to my knees since I had the nasty burn on my arm from the corn soup by that point lol. It was easier to just wade about then go all in whilst trying to keep my arm lifted out. I had to be able to say I'd been in the Aegean; it took almost 10 trips to Europe before I finally made it to this region of the continent! The water was on the cooler side; whilst I don't know the water temp, you would likely find it cold if you are used to the West Indies or southern USA. Being from Boston, it was more than warm enough for me; much warmer than the North Atlantic!

The best beaches on this itinerary are allegedly in Corfu but we missed them due to having a rainy day when we called there. It was still a lovely stop but I was bummed to have missed Paleokastritsa.

Many people swam on the ship. I had a swim in the Solarium pool one day and it's quite hot in there...the air not the water, although the water was warm. I am not sure about the main pool outdoors but many were swimming so I assume the water wasn't cold.

Edited by Bostonjetset

I think the journey from the Cruise Port to Airport in a taxi was about 20 mins.

I think the journey from the Cruise Port to Airport in a taxi was about 20 mins.

Brilliant thank you someone else posted only about 45 euros in a taxi so that's not bad think that will be our best option !

The RC transfers were $34 USD pp! The taxi ended up cheaper & easier for my DD & I.

Barbara

Yes!! I found the RC shuttle options in the ports were far overpriced as well. $22pp in Ravenna for return trip which is double what we paid for a taxi. Even if there were only two of us it would have worked out to be even but with a taxi you have a private driver and can come and go on your own schedule. I suppose the RC options would work out okay for a solo traveler but not for those with friends or family.

Really great review, thanks!! I am taking the Sept cruise on Rhapsody out of Venice and cannot wait. I will attempt to keep up I am SO VERY excited for Mykonos and Kotor so I'm happy to read these were your favorite ports. I just know I will want to go back for land visits to each. We are traveling with a large group, many of which are older but my friend and I have hired a private driver on Kotor and plan to walk thru town and visit one of the more upbeat beaches on Mykonos. The only port I'm kinda meh about is Athens. We still haven't decided what we are doing here. Our group is taking a busy full day tour but I'm not sure that sounds so fun. We also don't have anything planned for Zadar but have been considering some of the hiking tours. Like others I'm having a hard timing finding out much about this port.

I'm disappointed to hear it may be a struggle getting lounge chairs by the main pool on sea days. I love sitting by the pool but don't want to have to get up early to "claim" a seat. Did they ever open the roof over the adult pool? I've read they can but don't know if its common during good weather.

Really great review, thanks!! I am taking the Sept cruise on Rhapsody out of Venice and cannot wait. I will attempt to keep up I am SO VERY excited for Mykonos and Kotor so I'm happy to read these were your favorite ports. I just know I will want to go back for land visits to each. We are traveling with a large group, many of which are older but my friend and I have hired a private driver on Kotor and plan to walk thru town and visit one of the more upbeat beaches on Mykonos. The only port I'm kinda meh about is Athens. We still haven't decided what we are doing here. Our group is taking a busy full day tour but I'm not sure that sounds so fun. We also don't have anything planned for Zadar but have been considering some of the hiking tours. Like others I'm having a hard timing finding out much about this port.

I'm disappointed to hear it may be a struggle getting lounge chairs by the main pool on sea days. I love sitting by the pool but don't want to have to get up early to "claim" a seat. Did they ever open the roof over the adult pool? I've read they can but don't know if its common during good weather.

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you found it helpful!!

Athens was actually a nice port with a lot to offer if you've never been there. It's not idyllic like the Greek islands but it IS the birthplace of western culture so well worth doing a tour. It is beautiful in a gritty, authentic way...the same way Budapest is beautiful [though the cities are very different, they both have a ruggedness to them]. Again, we did a tour there and it was worthwhile...overpriced through RCCL but still worthwhile.

I never once saw the Solarium pool opened. It did indeed have the ability to be opened but it never was on our cruise. It was seriously like a warming oven in there. I felt like a loaf of bread being kept warm as the rest of the dinner cooked at the main pool LOL.