Formals Question

little miss s

I haven't been on NCL since they switched to the freestyle cruising. I'm going out of Houston on the Dream on Oct 29th and I'm wondering if formal nights are still as "formal" as they once were? I was thinking between the freestyle cruising and the fact that the ship is sailing out of Texas that people might not dress up as much. Does anyone have any recent experience?

The great thing about freestyle is it is up to you. Yes many people still dress up, but if you come into the dinning hall resort casual you are still welcome and really don't feel out of place. I know my daughter and I love to dress, my husband may get into a dress shirt and tie for formal. That is as dressed as he wants to be. Just dress as you like and enjoy, you will not be out of place. Mary

The great thing about freestyle is it is up to you. Yes many people still dress up, but if you come into the dinning hall resort casual you are still welcome and really don't feel out of place. I know my daughter and I love to dress, my husband may get into a dress shirt and tie for formal. That is as dressed as he wants to be. Just dress as you like and enjoy, you will not be out of place. Mary

I haven't been on NCL since they switched to the freestyle cruising. I'm going out of Houston on the Dream on Oct 29th and I'm wondering if formal nights are still as "formal" as they once were? I was thinking between the freestyle cruising and the fact that the ship is sailing out of Texas that people might not dress up as much. Does anyone have any recent experience?

On our cruise on the Spirit in September, the Optional Formal Night brought out all types of attire.

We did not see any ladies in actual formals, but very nice cocktail dresses, dressy pant suits, and such.

Several gentlemen had tuxes on - and they looked wonderful.

But, most men opted for dark suits, or sport coats. Some had ties on and some did not.

We enjoyed seeing the variety of clothing, and the fact that most at least made an effort to spruce up somewhat.

Of course, there were the few who appeared in what could be considered less than Formal, or even Resort Casual as far as that goes.

But, we all had a grand time, and the dinner was out of this world.

By the way, we chose to dress in our nicer Resort Casual, and felt that we fit in with most.

Archived