Mens' Casual Nights Attire

We are booked on a 7 night and I am wondering what I should get for the formal nights. I am not a tux kinda guy and I am wondering what I should get. I would like to wear a sport coat, what color and style should I get. Can I only wear a sport coat or is that not formal enough. The other thing is I wonder if my 9 and 10 year old will even like the main dining room.

Slacks and a polo style shirt are perfect for casual nights.

claven, you don't have to wear a tux if you don't want to. My DH wears a black suit, my teenage son wears a black sportcoat with dark tan slacks. Even though I have seen young boys with just a shirt and tie, they do look so much nicer with a jacket. If you like to have a formal portrait done, you will appreciate the look for years to come.

The dress code is supposed to be the same for children as it is for adults. Shop the sales, or charity stores nearby, it really doesn't have to be expensive!

We are booked on a 7 night and I am wondering what I should get for the formal nights. I am not a tux kinda guy and I am wondering what I should get. I would like to wear a sport coat, what color and style should I get. Can I only wear a sport coat or is that not formal enough. The other thing is I wonder if my 9 and 10 year old will even like the main dining room.

No trouble with no tux - fortunately (or unfortunately) the tux seems to be dying out (see other boards for that discussion). But I would suggest you wear a dark suit - you don't see too many sportscoats - some dark blue/black blazers - but not lighter colors.

Or you can do what we have been doing - skipping Formal night and eating at Chops or Portofinos.

Tough to say with the 9-10 year old - depends - but some of the elements are pretty cool. Make it a big deal (like eating at your best restaurant in your town) and it may be a big deal to him/her too.

Have fun!

I agree with previous poster - no tux - no problem. But a dark suit is definately the next best thing. We do like to do the "dress up" thing so husband has black tux for one night and white tux "dinner jacket" for next.

If you are considering it and don't want to spend big bucks try this

www.uniformalwearhouse.com They have package deals that include everything but the shoes starting at $89.95. We ordered his white dinner jacket from them and were very very pleased.

As far as the kids... I think if you make it a big deal - something special - it is a good experience for them. I am one of those who think kids should partake in as many "experiences" as possible and this is one of them. If you can't afford a jacket for each... then a long sleeve shirt with tie will do. The important thing is not to exclude them from this.

For casual nights my dh will be in nice slacks (not khakis) and a nice shirt (not polos) but some short sleeve - some long. No tie - no jacket.

Have a great cruise - your kids will remember it for a lifetime.

As far as eating in a speciality restaurant, I thought it was required to wear a jacket in Portifinos and Chops. Would like to hear it isn't.

We ate in Portofinos last March, I did not wear a sportcoat, in fact I didn't see anyone wearing one while we were there. I can't speak for the formal nights' attire but, personally, I would probably wear a suit on formal night...can't remember if formal dress is required in Chops/Portofinos on formal nights.

The following expectation can be found on RCI’s Web Page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

What are the dress codes onboard?

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4-night cruises include one formal night and two or three casual nights.

5 - nights include one formal and four casual nights.

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four to six casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Hi:

For formal nights... a dark suit is fine.

For casual or smart casual nights... DH wore black pants with a nice pullover or button down shirt that didn't have to be tucked in. He fit right in so it wasn't a problem.

In regard to Portofino.. some men wore nice pants with a nice button down shirt (tucked in) and some wore suits. This was a non-formal night when we went but everyone (women/men) looked nice. For a formal night (from what I heard) everyone was dressed up in suits/tuxedo's.

As far as the kids... I don't have children so I can't help you out there.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do;jsessionid=00003r7uyfPObwi9-KWfJ3UFI4U:v2mocc7o#8

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

7 to 9-night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and four to six casual nights.

10 to13-night cruises include two formal nights and two smart casual nights, all other nights are casual.

14+ -night cruises include three formal nights and four smart casual nights. All other nights are casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Unfortunately, onboard they have done away with smart casual. There was only formal or casual dining on my 7 day sailing on the NOS last week. Believe me I got the Compasses to prove it. RCL should really update their policy to what they are really doing onboard. Saves passengers some space in their luggage.

I hope I don't get slammed for this, but for Chops/Portofinos DH always wears slacks, dress shirt, and what I call his "dress cashmere" dark navy or dark grey sweater. They're gorgeous V-necks, very classy (IMO). He's never looked out of place even when there are men wearing jackets. The reason we do alternate dining is so that he doesn't have to wear the tux or suit that night (or just because we want to dine there, but he'd still prefer not to wear the jacket).

For casual nights, it's always casual slacks (not jeans) and a polo (with sweater if the dining room is cold). For formal nights (if we're doing it that cruise), we've taken to renting the tux package online and just bringing his own tux "goodies" (studs, links, pocket square, etc.). It's not as nice as his own tuxes (although the rentals are in fine shape and fit okay--just be sure to get measured by a tailor and/or at a men's formalwear shop, it's very important that you do it exactly as requested), but we just got tired of lugging all the stuff. This way he still has his individual look without the packing hassle. (He brings his own shoes, although you can rent them.) It's a terrific compromise, IMO. He looks handsome, meets the requested dress standard, and can change into plain slacks with a nice shirt if we're out and about late night.

Young ladies and gentlemen over the age of 4 should, IMO, follow at least a moderate level of the requested dress. For example, I don't expect to see a 6 year old in a tux (although those that wear them look very cute), but I would expect him to wear nice slacks with a button-down or boy's dress shirt and jacket, preferably with tie, for formal night. It's great learning for them on what is expected at a formal event. They can always change later for AO activities.

As for whether a 9 or 10 year old would like the formal dining room, it depends on the child. I couldn't possibly say whether one child would like it (especially when I don't know the child). I do know that some love it, while others loathe it--kind of like the adults onboard. LOL.

beachchick

But it should not be what You want or I want. It is what the Cruise Line wants. If everyone would abide by what the Cruise Line wants, there would be no discussion. Everyone knows what the Cruise Line wants - before they book. It is all over the Internet. A GOOD T.A. will tell you. Your Boarding Docs will tell you (just got mine yesterday). The Cruise Lines expectations are written everywhere.

Just as a refresher:

As printed in your “Guest Vacation Documents”

WHAT SHOULD I PACK?

Days on board are casual, and you’ll be most comfortable in sports clothes and resort wear. Shoes should be low healed for deck activities. Bring a few swimsuits (so you’ll always have a dry one).

Ashore, you’ll need comfortable walking shoes. For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire.

Casual: sundresses or slacks and blouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men.

Formal: Cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men.

See tuxedo rental info on pages 17-19.

If you’re cruising to the Caribbean, Mexico or other warm weather destinations, bring a hat for protection from the sun. If your cruise vacation will take you to Alaska, Canada/New England or Northern Europe, be sure to pack a jacket and several sweaters. Finally, don’t forget to pack your travel documents and any medications you may need in your carry-on.

Archived