Internet on the Vision of the Seas?

Does anyone know if the "Voom" on the Vision is the proper voom, with the appropriate hardware upgrades to access the medium earth satellites, or just the naff old internet rebranded?

I believe most of the ships are just the rebrand (which is a bit of a con), but the their Twitter account said it was "available" in May, before they announced the rebranding excercise across the board:

http://www.******************.com/2016/04/25/royal-caribbean-adding-voom-navigator-of-the-seas-and-vision-of-the-seas

I don't think it's been in dry dock since 2013 though, so I'm guessing it's con-job version, but if anyone has been on it recently and could shed some light one way or the other that'd be great!

TIA

Does anyone know if the "Voom" on the Vision is the proper voom, with the appropriate hardware upgrades to access the medium earth satellites, or just the naff old internet rebranded?...

Not O3b as of March 2016, and have not gotten any reports of O3b from Vision since then.

Not O3b as of March 2016, and have not gotten any reports of O3b from Vision since then.

Thanks, I will save my money if that's the case then, the old style internet was pretty much useless last time I tried to use it.

Thanks, I will save my money if that's the case then, the old style internet was pretty much useless last time I tried to use it.

At least wait until you are onboard to purchase. That way you can check if the service has been upgraded. The service was abysmal on our transatlantic this past October.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

Have you got any recent info about VOOM internet on VisionOTS? I am booked in January 2017 for a Dubai cruise and as I need to work while away I specifically chose this company (instead of Costa or MSC) due to the good promises of fast internet.

Just need a reliable, constant access to emails and websites.

Any recent feedbacks will be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

On Vision OTS at the moment, getting 1 - 2Mb/s download and same for upload on surf and stream package. It's fine for web browsing but wouldn't be for anything sensitive to the high latency, 700ms+. Streaming on e.g. Youtube is okay if you're happy to wait for the buffering or play in low resolutions such as 240p to avoid buffering. I'd hate to think what the surf package is like :O but might still be fine for web browsing only.

Overall I'm still happy I went for it since there was the 30% discount promotion, made me go for the surf and stream just over the surf package.