Car rental in Juneau

traveltime3400

I have a rental booked with Avis near the cruise docks already. I just found a cheaper rental (1/3 less expensive) from Juneau car rental, but they said it could be up to a mile walk. We are on the Norwegian Pearl and have a somewhat short time in port (2-9 pm). Will this be a long distance to walk? Any preference on which company to use? Thanks!

Traveltime3400,

We were in Juneau June 8th and rented a van from Dwight at Juneau Car Rental Company. It depends on which dock your ship uses as to how far of a walk it might be. What day are you in Juneau and what ship? Juneau Car Rental Company is just across the parking lot from the AJ dock, a walk of 50 yards or so. We were on the Holland America Zaandam which was docked at the Steam Ship dock kind of between the Tongass Store and the Visitor Information Center. It was to be quite a hike (with a little uphill rise) to get to Juneau Car Rental Company. My original plan was to hire a taxi to take me there (there were several taxis available near the Visitor Information Center). Fortunately, since there was a cruise ship docked at the AJ dock (the southern most dock) there was a free shuttle bus running between the Visitor Information Center and the AJ dock so we hopped on it and it dropped us off just across the parking lot from the Juneau Car Rental Company. Juneau Car Rental Company is just a small building (hut) but Dwight was there waiting for us and had everything ready to go. He was good about giving us information and directions and the van we rented worked just fine. One note, when I returned the van I rented later that afternoon (5:00ish), the cruise ship was gone from the AJ dock so no shuttle bus service. I was about to make the hike back to the Zaandam but struck up a conversation with a local in the parking lot, who was waiting for his friend to land from paragliding off Mt. Roberts, and he offered me a ride back to my ship. It was my lucky day.

I have a rental booked with Avis near the cruise docks already. I just found a cheaper rental (1/3 less expensive) from Juneau car rental, but they said it could be up to a mile walk. We are on the Norwegian Pearl and have a somewhat short time in port (2-9 pm). Will this be a long distance to walk? Any preference on which company to use? Thanks!

Usually NCL uses the AJ dock. VERIFY your dock schedule first.

Thank you both! I looked online at claalaksa.com. For our day in Juneau, July 12th, it said "AJD". I think that stands for AJ Dock?

I re-read my email from juneau car rental, and it said they were located at the A dock, so I guess this is a good option.

Thank you both! I looked online at claalaksa.com. For our day in Juneau, July 12th, it said "AJD". I think that stands for AJ Dock?

I re-read my email from juneau car rental, and it said they were located at the A dock, so I guess this is a good option.

Book your car with Juneau Car Rentals. All you have to do, is walk to the right, up the hill, after you leave the dock, to pick it up.

• 6 months later...

Good Morning. We too would like to rent a vehicle for the day - would prefer a larger car or SUV as hubby 6'5" and needs leg and head room. How do you know what dock your ship pulls into? We are on the Celebrity Infinity on Thursday July 27. Which rental facility is closest to our dock that we can walk to? Also, how is parking near dock in case we want to break/rest before heading back out? We are in port a long day 7:30am-8:00pm? Thank you.

Good Morning. We too would like to rent a vehicle for the day - would prefer a larger car or SUV as hubby 6'5" and needs leg and head room. How do you know what dock your ship pulls into? We are on the Celebrity Infinity on Thursday July 27. Which rental facility is closest to our dock that we can walk to? Also, how is parking near dock in case we want to break/rest before heading back out? We are in port a long day 7:30am-8:00pm? Thank you.

I'd rent from Avis now, easy to cancel. Verify what the cancellation policy is for Juneau Car Rentals. I don't think dock schedules are out yet. I've seen Celebrity in several locations including tendering. It can be difficult to park downtown, on the street- with pay parking probably a better option. http://www.juneau.org/parkrec/parking.php

With your port time, I'd suggest you consider carefully, the option for Tracy Arm which few cruise ships have the time for. Simply a superb tour to consider and take advantage of.

• 3 months later...