Jamaica is my favorite port

HatterasNC

Just got back from another great day in Jamaica. Our ship (NOS) was scheduled for Oct 18th in Ocho Rios, but due to Wilma was switched to Oct 20th. This was my second visit and once again I had a great time.

Last year I had booked a tour with Phil Lafayette and it was awesome. This year I tried to book again with Phil but he was overbooked and he recommended Peat Taylor. Peat was pretty booked too, he did one tour and his son did another.

We got the tour with his son Oneill. Once again we had a great time. We had a 5 hour tour, climbed the Dunns River Falls, river tubing, Fern Gully, pottery factory, shopping, and stopped at a Jamaican restaurant. All that for $55, the fee doesn't include lunch just the stop. Everything else was in the fee. Oneill is a great guide, he does his dads business proud.

I can't wait to go back. If you want this to be one of your favorite ports you should book with Phil, Peat, or his son Oneill. I'm always amazed how many never get off the ship and never try this great port.

Interesting...it looks like our ship may be re-routed to Ocho Rios and I was not planning to get off the ship. I've been told by a past cruiser that he hated it. I'm not sure if it was the island, or because he lost his wedding ring in the river and his wife cried all the way back to the ship. Anyways, since our main ports...Grand Cayman and Cozumel are most likely no longer on the itinerary.....or if they still are, will definitely not be what we expect.....I figure I better start seriously looking at what I can do in Jamiaca. Your posting has shed some light on my future cruise....Thank you.

Thanks for the positive post. Jamaica seems to get such a bad rap from so many. I am looking forward to my time in Jamaica.:)

I'm a firm believer that you should always try something at least once and make up your own mind. Our original itinerary included Ocho Rios, but was later changed to Key West. It's still changing each day, however I now wished they would keep Jamaica on the itinerary instead of Key West so I can at least say I've been there.

I'm a firm believer in planning. It seems that most people that I've read having a 'bad' experience & disliking Jamaica so much tried to do the island on their own. That is-no tours, etc. To get the most out of any vacation experience (whether it be DisneyWorld/Land or a cruise, etc.) you need to do a little research prior to your visit. Not that you need to have every minute of your day planned - but some sort of 'game plan' for your time. Jamaica is a great island with plenty of gracious, fun-loving people. (Can I hear a Ya' Mon!) If you have a plan for your day you will have a better experience.

Too many people give Jamaica a bad rap b/c of 'hassles' with locals. I'm a native Atlantan & sometimes when I'm downtown, I get 'hassled' by homeless street people. Does it make Atlanta a bad place-one that people wouldn't want to visit? Highly unlikely...I feel bad for the wonderful people of Jamaica who get balled into this bad wrap b/c of a handful of thugs that want to peddle drugs for a living.

We did The Original Canopy Tour while in Jamaica & it was super. We went to the Island Village & it too was fine. Jimmy's place was a fun place to watch grown ups act like kids coming down the water slide. We didn't get approached by anyone selling any type of drugs. If we had, it would not have changed my idea of this island. Jamaicans are wonderful people w/a fun, laid back way to life. Ya' Mon~No problem~:)

Legalslave,

I don't remember the name of the restaurant we ate at. Oneill gave us several choices. The one he thought was best was $14 for all you can eat and drink, not sure if that included alcoholic drinks. We were'nt that hungry so we didn't stop there. In hind sight I think we should have done the all u can eat, we spent about 20 bucks for food and a couple beers, for 8 bucks more we could have had the all u can eat. We ate the jerk chicken and it was good, could have eaten more.:)

Love2cruisegirl ~ I think that you hit the nail on the head with saying that you have to have a game plan. True, as you say, no matter where you go!!

We are heading to Ocho Rios on our upcoming cruise in March and I am doing as much research on OR that I can. I do plan on doing a cruiseship-excursion because the kids will be along...I think that will be the best way to go. I am sure though that there are plenty of wonderful Jamaican people! I can't wait to go and see the beauty that I always hear about!!

We were in Jamaica last year and toured with Peat Taylor and his son. We enjoyed our tour and our time on the island very much. We found Jamaica to be beautiful and Peat made our time there special. He is very friendly and knowledgeable. You can't go wrong with Peat or his son. We are looking forward to returning in the future.

Archived