Puerto Vallarta Hotels

CanuckCruizer

Hi MSN. We are going to PV in July. I want to stay at the Sheraton. Can you bring us up to date. I want a room that is in the Tower (high up). I'm confused on the web site about balconys, are there any?

Also, Time Shares. I know about time shares only from the problems that other people post about. However, we would like to go back to PV on a yearly basis. Would a time share at the Sheraton save us money? Can you tell us of your time shares and do you think they are worth it?

Del

The Sheraton underwent a significant overhaul of its public areas and the lower 5 floors after it was hit by a massive tidal surge from Hurricane Kenna in October 2002. The facility is beautiful. The resort is divided into two areas; The hotel/convention complex to the north and the timeshare complex to the south (a tower & original bldgs).

The web site for the hotel can be confusing. I believe the hotel has the ability to book guests into vacant timeshare units and their site does show floor plans for rooms that are not in the hotel complex.

Reference this web page: http://www.sheratonvallarta.com/eng/accommodations_towers.html

The hotel doesn’t have balconies on the upper floors of the towers. The tower suites have recessed open spaces that they call a “terrace” (a balcony that doesn’t stick out from the bldg.)

I'd insert pictures of the hotel & timeshare blds right here if I knew how.

The timeshare industry in Puerto Vallarta is simple, and at the same time, complex. I’m not sure this board is a good place to discuss those complexities. I will tell you that a timeshare, like a car, is something you should test drive first. A little searching on the internet will connect you with a number of sites that offer TS unit for rent by owners that can’t go in a given year and are just looking to rent the week in order to recover their annual maintenance fee. I have owned a timeshare (someplace) for nearly 25 years. My wife and I have two in PV right now. If you give me an email address, I would be happy to discuss the ins and outs of owning a timeshare in Vallarta. (to include sending pictures)

Enjoy!

Thank-You MSN. I see now that we are a little off cruise info. We are very much into cruising. We were on the Carnival Elation this past January and are booked back to back on the Carnival Glory in September.

Being retired and a photographer just makes me want to go go go. We are headed to Sedona AZ for a week and a half in May.

Now, about 15 minutes ago, I booked the Sheraton Buganvillias (Tower Double) in Puerto Vallarta for a seven day stay in July. It will be the rainy season but we see that as no problem.

Del

Hey MSN and lv2cruz, DW and I own at the Sheraton Buganvilias also! We were on the Sapphire Princess last year and enjoyed PV and admired the Buganvilias so much, we bought. In fact, we are going for the first time in June and that is why I am logged on right now. I was looking for suggestions for restaurants and excursions. I was even going to post and ask for help. The awesome links and suggestions you both gave saved me the effort...thanks!!! As has already been mentioned, the resort is gorgeous and conveniently located. We are considering the canopy tour, swimming with the dolphins, and the jungle tour that goes to where Preditor was made. Hey, I'm from Cal-E-fonia (that's how he pronounces it) and need to see where the Govenator filmed his movie! :D

Hey Family Man!!!

Boy what those cruises do to some of us. Makes you wanna go back over and over and over.Now my sister bought into Buganvilias . We have a one bedroom and a two bedroom there. ( thanks E-Bay)

Sadly we cant go this year. The good news is we are going on a Med cruise in Sept. so no complaints on that one.

As far as things to do there, well i did absolutly love the Las Veranos tour. I have done Las Caletas a few times but been there done that sort of thing!

My sister and fam did the Dune Buggy thing and had a blast.

For the most part i just love being at the resort all day. Sitting by the pool reading and people watching!!!! I love the poolside nachos!! I go back to the timeshare for our lunch. Great grocrey store called Mega just about a 10 min. walk but cab it back ovioulsy!!! Thats the beauty of timeshares is with a ref. it's easy to stock up and save some money.

People are friendly around the pool area. Lots of T.S owners all seem to talk about their t.s. or what the best restaurant is.

Our favorites are La Palapa with a table on the beach. Vista Grill for the views.Pipis is loud and fun for good Mexican food. La dolce Vita on the Malecon and also La Chata. At the marina Porto Bellos for some Italian food.

Look at http://www.Fodors.com . Alot of people will reccomend all kinds of places that are good places to eat. There is an abundance of fabulous restaurants to try.

I hope all this helps!!!!

Well i have been born and raised in Calif. and now moving out of the state!!!

Going to the south in North Carolina. Who would have thought!!!!

Taking my equity and runnin!!!! Home prices are the best. ( my son lives there now) So it's going to be an experience thats for sure!

Hey Family Man!!!

Boy what those cruises do to some of us. Makes you wanna go back over and over and over.Now my sister bought into Buganvilias . We have a one bedroom and a two bedroom there. ( thanks E-Bay)

Sadly we cant go this year. The good news is we are going on a Med cruise in Sept. so no complaints on that one. ...

lv2cruz ...

If you are not going to use it this year, what are you going to do with your week in the two-bedroom unit? We have a presidential suite in the tower (1 bedoom plus studio, occupancy 4) but want to bring down more guests for one of the weeks that we are there this year. A two-bedroom unit hold 6 or eight?

Msn-

I dont quite no yet. Possibly rent it out. This i am sure you know is in the "older" part as you are in the towers. I have a set week but can pay an exchange fee to have a different day as long as it's available. It holds 6. 2 seperated bedrooms 2 full baths but two people would have to sleep on the couches. I would not recommend adults to as they are uncomfortable as you have probably figured out by now.Kids would be o.k.

If you are interested e-mail me at kjohnston1960@hotmail.com.

lv2cruz,

Thanks for the additional information. I will investigate those further. The restaurants you mentioned sound great! The dune buggies sound pretty cool too. It looks like MSN had the same idea. We might be interested in renting the 2 BR units some time on an odd year. The 1 BR unit we bought in Tower A (on ebay BTW ;) ) is EOY/even years. We wanted to start the timeshare thing slowly.... Therefore, some odd year, or as MSN mentioned, with guests on an even year, we might be interested.

You are leaving a beautiful area (we love Monterrey/Carmel) and I am sure you have some great equity built up, but North Carolina is beautiful too. Especially if your son is there...:)

Family man-

Yes i am leaving a beautiful place but unfortunatly it becomes a vicious circle if you want to move up to a bigger or better house or area of the peninsula. To much money!!! I'd rather spend it on like going to Puerto Vallarta once or twice a year!!!

So hopefully it will all work out:)

Have a great time in P.V when you go and definatly try the poolside nachos!!

They are really good. Breakfast there is good too especially there french toast. Ive never had dinner there because there are so many other places to try. Plus after being at the resort all day your ready to go out.

You must bring this post up when your done vacationing there to let us know how it all went and what where your favorite restaurants!

lv2cruz.... leaving us here on the central coast to suffer in our arks during this rain? (ok so we have had 2 days with no rain!) I admire you for getting out while the gettin' is good. Can't get DH to get out of this area! So expensive. Pretty, but expensive! Congrats!

I know what you mean Suziehmkr!!!!

Geez rain on Easter, what was up with that????

I am so over the rain but i do think the worst is over!!!

So you are not the only one who thinks that real estate prices here are ridiculous to the point that it's hard to move up?

It's been good in a sense of course we doubled our investment in 5 years but those property taxes when you move up double as well. No thanks!!

I know what you mean Suziehmkr!!!!

Geez rain on Easter, what was up with that????

I am so over the rain but i do think the worst is over!!!

So you are not the only one who thinks that real estate prices here are ridiculous to the point that it's hard to move up?

It's been good in a sense of course we doubled our investment in 5 years but those property taxes when you move up double as well. No thanks!!

No - I do know exactly what you mean, which is why we have been in our house longer than we expected too. Decided to do some remodeling & redecorating instead of moving. Too crazy!! Enjoy the sun filled days!! While they last. hee hee

Family man-

Have a great time in P.V when you go and definatly try the poolside nachos!!

They are really good. Breakfast there is good too especially there french toast. Ive never had dinner there because there are so many other places to try. Plus after being at the resort all day your ready to go out.

You must bring this post up when your done vacationing there to let us know how it all went and what where your favorite restaurants!

I will let you know. We are SO ready to go. Especially with all of this crazy rain we have been getting blasted with! :eek:

I have gleaned so much more beneficial information regarding PV activities and restaurants on this board than I have on a timeshare board I monitor. Thanks to all that contributed!!!

I will let you know. We are SO ready to go. Especially with all of this crazy rain we have been getting blasted with! :eek:

I have gleaned so much more beneficial information regarding PV activities and restaurants on this board than I have on a timeshare board I monitor. Thanks to all that contributed!!!

The MEGA food store is two blocks north of the Sheraton. It's like a WalMart super store wana-be. (food, liquor, clothing, ATM). If some nice man or women comes up to you and offers to help you find things ... he/she is a timeshare shark. Half a block south of Mega (between Mega and the Sheraton) is a liquor store with a good vatiety of everything at very reasonable prices. You are not allowed to carry groceries through the hotel. You must enter the complex through the timeshare lobby with grocery bags. It is helpful if you research a few common grocery product names in spanish.

The main office for PVNET.com is located across the street from the Sheraton and a half block north. Best prices for internet access. Pre-pay for a block of time and you have 90 days to use it up. Large bank of computers in A/C environment.

Taxis were 30 pesos (last fall) to any point north of the river downtown. Add 15 pesos to points south of the river (old Vallarta). If you are taking a taxi to the north (port, walmart,marina), go to the hotel lobby. If you grab a cab at the timeshare lobby, he will have to go all the way downtown in order to turn around and head north.

The bus stop is outside the hotel entrance. They may or may not stop if you try to flag one down while walking toward the Malecon from the timeshare entrance.

We have only had two or three meals in the Sheraton since 2000. Way to many good places to eat in town, including breakfast, and the Sheraton is way over priced.

Follow this shortcut to find a web site that offers discount coupons to local restauants, etc. Ofertas Vallarta

Enjoy!

[quote name='MSN-Travelers']The MEGA food store is two blocks north of the Sheraton. It's like a WalMart super store wana-be. (food, liquor, clothing, ATM). If some nice man or women comes up to you and offers to help you find things ... he/she is a timeshare shark. Half a block south of Mega (between Mega and the Sheraton) is a liquor store with a good vatiety of everything at very reasonable prices. You are not allowed to carry groceries through the hotel. You must enter the complex through the timeshare lobby with grocery bags. It is helpful if you research a few common grocery product names in spanish.

The main office for PVNET.com is located across the street from the Sheraton and a half block north. Best prices for internet access. Pre-pay for a block of time and you have 90 days to use it up. Large bank of computers in A/C environment.

Taxis were 30 pesos (last fall) to any point north of the river downtown. Add 15 pesos to points south of the river (old Vallarta). If you are taking a taxi to the north (port, walmart,marina), go to the hotel lobby. If you grab a cab at the timeshare lobby, he will have to go all the way downtown in order to turn around and head north.

The bus stop is outside the hotel entrance. They may or may not stop if you try to flag one down while walking toward the Malecon from the timeshare entrance.

We have only had two or three meals in the Sheraton since 2000. Way to many good places to eat in town, including breakfast, and the Sheraton is way over priced.

Follow this shortcut to find a web site that offers discount coupons to local restauants, etc. [URL="http://www.vallarta-info.com/restaurants.html#"][I][COLOR=#800080]Ofertas Vallarta[/COLOR][/I][/URL]

Enjoy![/quote]

Incredibly VALUABLE information!!! Thank you so much MSN! And the restaurant list is quite extensive. I can't wait....

Archived